Nineteenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Endhu
Pupating Mass

Re: Nineteenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#46 Post by Endhu »

Well, I'm in the game and some stuff I'd like to ask or confirm:
- I got the Abaddoni, with their bonuses I suppose I should expand fast and do a very wide empire
- I have mimetic alloy on a second planet in my system, my species has no preference about it so I guess it can be ignored for now (also anyone can clarify what the likes/dislikes mean exactly? searched through the forum and found only species discussions, searched the pedia and found nothing. Would have tried to see what they do in SP but haven't yet gotten to one - little time to play)
- Will there be shared research? In the test game I had a lot of tech researched even though I first connected very late.
- I suppose the usual starting research path hasn't changed much and I should still start with the flat bonuses to habitability and research
Also: - Any recommendation for what policies to use? I'll try to figure something out myself but will most likely be wrong (edit: Ended up choosing Colonial Bootstrapping and Colonization)

Endhu
Pupating Mass

#47 Post by Endhu »

Ah, so it seems the research question has at least somewhat answered itself. It looks like we will receive techs others have finished, but not share the queue. Does that mean that two people researching the same thing is a waste and we should coordinate on research?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#48 Post by wobbly »

Endhu wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:37 pm - I have mimetic alloy on a second planet in my system, my species has no preference about it so I guess it can be ignored for now (also anyone can clarify what the likes/dislikes mean exactly? searched through the forum and found only species discussions, searched the pedia and found nothing. Would have tried to see what they do in SP but haven't yet gotten to one - little time to play)
I'm pretty sure the resource special still gives an influence bonus if a colony on it is set to influence.
Likes/Dislikes are +/- 2 to stability and some bonuses are gated by stability
Endhu wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:37 pm - Will there be shared research? In the test game I had a lot of tech researched even though I first connected very late.
- I suppose the usual starting research path hasn't changed much and I should still start with the flat bonuses to habitability and research
No shared research. Test game was just short time limit on turns so the game automatically spent your unused RP

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#49 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:56 am you should either install it in parallel or do a

Code: Select all

snap refresh freeorion --channel=latest/beta/slow-game-019
in parallel you have to enable some experimental stuff i forgot and do something similar to

Code: Select all

snap install freeorion_019 --channel=latest/beta/slow-game-019
then you can run it with "freeorion_019" or "snap run freeorion_019"
Thanks.
But I don't understand, since you have a slowgame channel, why does it have to change between games ?
Is there a reason someone would download the previous slowgame version rather than the current slowgame or the stable channel or the beta channel ?

Why not just have a slowgame channel that only needs to be refreshed when a new game starts ?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#50 Post by LienRag »

Endhu wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:37 pm
Actually, not necessarily.
Boni (flat or not) to Research and Production have a Stability requirement, so they're worth their cost only if you can match these requirements.
Being Abbadonni, you may have a better chance to do so, but remember that with most Policies you'll get a malus from being far away from your Capitol (and from Imperial Regional Administration), so you need to take that into account.
Also, in the test games most of my planets got disconnected by monsters, so I had to use Confederation (that my Eaxaws liked) to cut my losses.

Boni to Habitability are still a no-brainer though, yes.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#51 Post by LienRag »

So, who's ready for Species exchange ?
We probably should do it now, before the monsters start roaming the Galaxy...

No Xenophobic species this time, we're lucky on that point.

Oberlus is close to me but is also Chato.
Endhu, I'm willing to trade my starting Colony Ship against yours (especially since I adopted Centralization, nearly a no-brainer now), are you interested ? We'd need to check that the path is clear, of course.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#52 Post by wobbly »

Endhu wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:37 pm Also: - Any recommendation for what policies to use? I'll try to figure something out myself but will most likely be wrong (edit: Ended up choosing Colonial Bootstrapping and Colonization)
Seems a reasonable choice. A small note for those who've taken colonization. Its specifically the colony ship part. There's no bonus on the outpost ship part or the colony building. So you want to be building colony ships rather then outpost ship + colony building.

Endhu
Pupating Mass

#53 Post by Endhu »

Thanks for the info and advice everyone
Endhu, I'm willing to trade my starting Colony Ship against yours
That's a good idea, I'll definitely need a researcher species, I'll start exploring in your direction

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#54 Post by ThinkSome »

Hi!

It looks like I did not get any notifications anywhere and forgot about it all. I'm installing now...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#55 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:48 am Hi!

It looks like I did not get any notifications anywhere and forgot about it all. I'm installing now...
Ouch!
I don't mind restarting game for you to join.

I guess jabber isn't that reliable. ThinkSome, did you get turn/start notification emails in previous games or did you only rely on jabber? If you were hoping to get an email when game started, I bet the problem is you didn't show up for the test game (which doesn't send an email when it starts) and o01eg removed you from player's list.

If that is the case, o01eg, can you make test games to send a songle email at start (not for turns or you're last one to play)?

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#56 Post by ThinkSome »

Only on jabber. I think I had an account at blabber, which was shut down or something. I'm looking into it all now.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#57 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:33 am I think I had an account at blabber, which was shut down or something.
I had (or have) an account at blabber, but I forgot the password and lost access after upgrading SO.

o01eg
Programmer

#58 Post by o01eg »

I'm fine to restart the game too.
ThinkSome wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:48 am Hi!

Didn't you get PM from the forum in e-mail?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-07.15cf063.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

o01eg
Programmer

#59 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:13 am If that is the case, o01eg, can you make test games to send a songle email at start (not for turns or you're last one to play)?
It possible but in case of errors I could restart test game quite often. I think I could unlock e-mail for 10th turn about 50 minutes from start.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-07.15cf063.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#60 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:00 am
Endhu wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:37 pm Also: - Any recommendation for what policies to use? I'll try to figure something out myself but will most likely be wrong (edit: Ended up choosing Colonial Bootstrapping and Colonization)
Seems a reasonable choice. A small note for those who've taken colonization. Its specifically the colony ship part. There's no bonus on the outpost ship part or the colony building. So you want to be building colony ships rather then outpost ship + colony building.
It looks relative balancing looks currently like this for all species but exobots (pc = SHIP_PART_COST_MULTIPLIER, bc = BUILDING_COST_MULTIPLIER):
  • colony ship (COLONIZATION) = 60pc
  • outpost+colony = 50pc + 50bc
  • colony ship () = 120pc
  • colony ship (CENTRALIZATION,COLONIZATION) = 120pc
  • colony ship (CENTRALIZATION) = 180pc
exobot colony building costs 70bc, think we should change that to 50pc, no need to invite micro without a reason.

Also note SHIP_PART_COST_MULTIPLIER can be decreased further by 20% using DESIGN_SIMPLICITY, we could up colony base part cost a bit I guess, so that outpost+colony is cheaper than colony ship(DESIGN_SIMPLICITY). (edit1: actually outpost is also cheaper 20%, so without change it would be 90 vs 100 if both game rules are set to the same value)
Last edited by Ophiuchus on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!