Nineteenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Nineteenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#106 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:59 pm It should say this, maybe:

+0.29

The thing is it would be nice if "This Turn" + "Change" = "Predicted Next Turn"
And it should be mandatory that Predicted Next Turn is actually what is shown (in this case, it shows 10.5, but it's actually 10.49, as shown by the item progression; or it is actually 10.5 but predicted item progression is misleading).
there is no evidence this is a rounding error (in the sense of miscalculation). Are you sure it is 10.20? may be 10.21 + 0.29 ; or 10.204 + 0.293

the "solution" may be using the same level of precision in the UI (and in probably in the too calculation)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#107 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:13 am there is no evidence this is a rounding error (in the sense of miscalculation). Are you sure it is 10.20? may be 10.21 + 0.29 ; or 10.204 + 0.293

the "solution" may be using the same level of precision in the UI (and in probably in the too calculation)
I don't think it's a rounding error in calculations, but a rounding issue in UI. My """solution""" is about rounding at UI-level, to avoid showing calculated 1.499 as 1.5. With rounding to nearest (in the UI) there is no precission that solves the issue.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#108 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:44 am rounding at UI-level, to avoid showing calculated 1.499 as 1.5.
i agree that using the same number of digits will at least partly help. if we have more than two operands, there will be a difference which one cant easily accomodate for without shown precision being real precision. e.g. always rounding down 0.00 + 0.00 + 0.00 could totally sum up to be 0.01
There is some complexity about different orders of magnitude where this breaks, e.g. 2.3k would you like to see a +40 or show it as +0?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#109 Post by ThinkSome »

Question: If I implement centralisation, would the supply cut happen before or after ship movement. That is, would the ships passing through the last supply system still get ressuplied?

I wonder if it would be better to focus on SymbBio instead of Radar, and send colonisation crafts down to ooleg's space (medium/small terran). I can capture then natives then use the outposted to extend supply somewhere along the way, I suppose. Thus ignoring the small desert (adequate,3.0 pop) planet that I would otherwise reach in 2 turns.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#110 Post by LienRag »

All effects are applied the next turn AFAIK, but I can't really be more specific than that...

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#111 Post by wobbly »

It lists the order when you hover the turn button. Fleet movement is end of 1st phase, updating of supply is end of last phase.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#112 Post by ThinkSome »

Fleet movement seems to happen before effects processing, so that'd work. However, I think that cutting supply of my homeworld to 0 would prevent my troop ships (medium hull, 3 fuel) from reaching the Aditya natives. So I will hold off on centralisation for a few more turns, at least.

o01eg
Programmer

#113 Post by o01eg »

wobbly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:50 am o01eg - my trith colony will be heading to Celaneo if the path is free. Have a think if you want to swap a Chato colony for it, I have a large toxic over on Kuma beta.

Also I have 3 small Trith troop ships that I was using as scouts. I'm not sure which of us is taking the Cynos, thats out of xenophobia range of my capital and I could connect it with orbital construction (or you could likewise connect to it with orbital and the celaneo colony)

Edit: Looks like I can't yet reach supply to Kuma but I could connect supply to a chato colony on Tejat

Edit2: It probably makes more sense for me to build Trith troops to take the Cynos rather then you building Chato troops. Maybe I should take the cynos then I'll build troops for you to invade whatever is at Uninen y. I guess we'll see what that is next turn.
It would be nice if you could build troops. I'm sending fleet to suppress Cynos. Here we can exchange fleets.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#114 Post by ThinkSome »

From NEBULA focs:
EffectsGroup // make ships slower, reduce detection, increase stealth
scope = And [
Ship
WithinDistance distance = Source.Size * 0.9 condition = Source
]
stackinggroup = "NEBULA_SHIP_EFFECTS"
effects = [
SetSpeed value = max(5, Value - 20)
SetStealth value = Value + 20
SetDetection value = Value - 20
]

It looks like the stealth bonus only affects ships? So I don't need radar to colonise the planets?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#115 Post by LienRag »

Oh, I didn't know that !
But actually it makes sense, it would be boring if all the Nebula-covered space wasn't settlable/outpostable.

What should I do with the Dyson Forest at Deneb ? Next turn I'll have to decide whether I attack it with my two frigates, let it grow 7 more turns to attack with Endhu's frigate (and my two frigates too, obviously) or let it grow more than 20 turns in order to bring Flak Symbiotics against the Dyson fighters...

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#116 Post by ThinkSome »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:58 pm What should I do with the Dyson Forest at Deneb ? Next turn I'll have to decide whether I attack it with my two frigates, let it grow 7 more turns to attack with Endhu's frigate (and my two frigates too, obviously) or let it grow more than 20 turns in order to bring Flak Symbiotics against the Dyson fighters...
Hmm, let's see...

Daneb:
FO_dysonforestDaneb.png
FO_dysonforestDaneb.png (59.71 KiB) Viewed 400 times
Giausar(top right):
FO_dysonforestGiausar.png
FO_dysonforestGiausar.png (46.19 KiB) Viewed 400 times
Looks like the forest is equipped with a mass driver, so it can do 72 damage total if it survives 3 bouts. What is up with the krill swarm damage and fighter count? Does fighter count increase with time? If so, then we have to expect maximum possible:
4 fighters launched in round 1, they do 4*6 damage in bout 2,3,4 = 72 ?
4 more launched in round 2, doing 2*4*6 damage total in bouts 3,4 = 48
4 more launched in round 3, doing 1*4*6 damage total in bout 4 = 24

Total 72+72+48+24 = 216 damage, which is about two frigates worth. I suppose that if you slip some scouts in there, the frigates would very likely survive. But killing the forest is unlikely. Someone correct me if this math is off, I haven't played in a year or so.

For Giausar I could send both my frigates up and add a cruiser that is half built, so 4*18 damage per bout for 288 total, and the forest will probably have more HP by then. The outcome could change if I research MD2/3/4 !

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#117 Post by Oberlus »

I am a lazy, placid player (regarding strategy and tactics, quarrels with other players are other thing). When doing single player, I usually ignore Dyson forests and any other monsters, until I finish my first batch of symbiotics or robotic with lasers (or my first batch of frigates with MDs, if some monster blocked my expansion and army is the only thing to do with my PPs), then I just kill them all in the order of convenience.

In this MP game with a single team, I feel even more placid than playing against AI. I just can't feel any motivation to devote any time to fine-grained calculations :)

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#118 Post by Ophiuchus »

ThinkSome wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:28 am Daneb: FO_dysonforestDaneb.png
yikes, it shows 0 total damage

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#119 Post by ThinkSome »

Two ThinkSomes enter a bar, then one ThinkSome leaves and another one enters . How many ThinkSomes are in the bar?
bar.png
bar.png (12.43 KiB) Viewed 373 times

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#120 Post by wobbly »

A couple of minor notes. Cynos like industry focus despite actually not having access to industry focus. Right clicking on planets to view potential pop from colonization doesn't work when you have a colony ship but no colony.