Nineteenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Nineteenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#121 Post by wobbly »

The scaling factor on regional admins seems a bit over the top. The difference in building it when you have 2 planets compared to 5 is already massive.

Code: Select all

buildcost = 12 * [[BUILDING_COST_MULTIPLIER]] * (Statistic Count condition = And [Planet OwnedBy empire = Source.Owner])

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#122 Post by LienRag »

It is, but also an interesting strategic choice : build them when they're cheap and you don't really need them, or wait when you need them and they'll be more expensive ?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#123 Post by LienRag »

That brings a fundamental question for the 19th game : what is the intended result in terms of Empire shapes ?

Should we plan to settle the planets that are near our Capitol or to have clusters around Imperial Regional Administrations in each other's territory ?

Or is anyone going long-term for Confederation and who's going to disperse his colonies amongst all the Galaxy ?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#124 Post by wobbly »

I plan on taking confederation (and probably isolation). All my radiated planets are up towards TS and I'll already need to put down my chato colony, plus its easier to stay out of xeno range when you don't need a supply chain

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#125 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:03 pm It is, but also an interesting strategic choice : build them when they're cheap and you don't really need them, or wait when you need them and they'll be more expensive ?
There's not much of a choice here with these costs, which is what wobbly commented: build them ASAP.
Build them when they're MUCH cheaper = adopt Centralization early on (at least for a turn).
Wait = You can't build them because you didn't pick Centralization, otherwise "why aren't you building a center already?".

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#126 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:05 pm That brings a fundamental question for the 19th game : what is the intended result in terms of Empire shapes ?

Should we plan to settle the planets that are near our Capitol or to have clusters around Imperial Regional Administrations in each other's territory ?

Or is anyone going long-term for Confederation and who's going to disperse his colonies amongst all the Galaxy ?
The intended resulting shapes should be whatever maximizes combined empires PP output to swarm the monsters and win the game.
Settling planets nearby centers is cool because non-center planets get better stability (except under Confederation?).
Going some of us disperse with Isolation (so staying away from allies too, I think) is possible at least for a while, maybe until end game if the non-disperse empires leave enough space.

Wobbly, I'll try and reserve areas for you around nice Radiated.
Will you go for Environmentalism (didn't check if Trith like or dislike it) or is Terraforming an option for you?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#127 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:18 pm
The intended resulting shapes should be whatever maximizes combined empires PP output to swarm the monsters and win the game.
Yep.
But which is that ?
Right now I can concentrate on outposting monster nests and colonizing my immediate vicinity, but later on ?
And even now, are there planets I need to reserve for other players ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#128 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:41 pm But which is that ?
What I said: expand around centers, or be disperse, whatever maximizes your output. Do your own numbers, I got enough with one empire.

LienRag wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:41 pm Right now I can concentrate on outposting monster nests and colonizing my immediate vicinity, but later on ?
More nests (if any) and more colonies in your previously-not-so-close-but-now-nearby vicinity...

LienRag wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:41 pm And even now, are there planets I need to reserve for other players ?
Planets can be gifted, so I don't see the concern.
But you better colonize good-for-your-species planets and reserve adequate-to-you-but-good-for-others planets. Eventually, you'll have the best available species for each environment (we'll share), so it does make sense to not be "greedy" here (unless getting a colony now and replace species later is better for your schedule because there isn't anything better to do at the time).

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#129 Post by ThinkSome »

Regional Empire Administration must not be within 5(!!!) starlane jumps of any other REA or palace!... is bureaucracy even possible to sustain past 20 turns or so? Or does the required number of REAs reset every time you unadopt this policy?

Do policies unlocked remain unlocked even after the prerequisite is unadopted?

I've lost the centralisation bonuses because my capital's stability fell below 20. But I'd still like to keep them for a few turns more, at least. (I also have liberty). Suggestions?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#130 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 pm Regional Empire Administration must not be within 5(!!!) starlane jumps of any other REA or palace!... is bureaucracy even possible to sustain past 20 turns or so? Or does the required number of REAs reset every time you unadopt this policy?
I think it is resetted.
ThinkSome wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 pm Do policies unlocked remain unlocked even after the prerequisite is unadopted?
I think so. I think there is no re-locking mechanic.
ThinkSome wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 pm I've lost the centralisation bonuses because my capital's stability fell below 20. But I'd still like to keep them for a few turns more, at least. (I also have liberty). Suggestions?
As soon as you invade or colonize anything, you better drop Centralization or manage to connect your supply.
As per your question, drop Liberty or adopt Moderation.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#131 Post by ThinkSome »

Hmm, perhaps then I can adopt bureaucracy for about 5 turns (I have an extra slot due to planetary infrastructure thing). Then when I need more supply I could drop centralisation and adopt technocracy to gain back some of that boost. And also in 7 turns drop liberty to get colonisation and spam cheaper colony organics. Or perhaps I should rush architectural psychology to get both liberty and colonisation bonuses.

wobbly's scout is going to be stuck down there for a few more turns if I don't get orbital construction in time...

I cannot research to gain moderation because I need the RP on orbital construction and other stuff.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#132 Post by Oberlus »

I queued Architectural Psychology at start of game after Physical Brain. That extra social slot is gold.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#133 Post by wobbly »

You may as well get bureaucratic bureau of bureacracy then go for the techno rave parties policy. You've got all research races anyway.
Oberlus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:18 pm
Going some of us disperse with Isolation (so staying away from allies too, I think) is possible at least for a while, maybe until end game if the non-disperse empires leave enough space.
Oh I didn't notice allies count. Its all visible. Hmm I'll see how worth it it is when I have the numbers in front of me.
Oberlus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:18 pm Wobbly, I'll try and reserve areas for you around nice Radiated.
Will you go for Environmentalism (didn't check if Trith like or dislike it) or is Terraforming an option for you?
No idea. I'll have to work it out when the time comes.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#134 Post by LienRag »

ThinkSome wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 pm Do policies unlocked remain unlocked even after the prerequisite is unadopted?
Yes, that's the difference between "necessitates" and "unlocked by".

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#135 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:12 pm Planets can be gifted, so I don't see the concern.
Oh, you're right.

But for IRA we still should coordinate.

Actually the Empire with the least Planets should build everyone's IRAs...