FreeOrion won't run under a limited account on windows 2k/xp

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Inuyasha
Space Krill

FreeOrion won't run under a limited account on windows 2k/xp

#1 Post by Inuyasha »

Hi all,

currently It is impossible to run FreeOrion without beeing an administrator under windows 2k and xp.
And there is no way to configure it so it will run under a limited account, as it won't accept any variables for the paths.
A program should not expect to have write access to its program directory, and should store any configuration files under Application Data.
So there should be an option to store any logfiles, saves etc there, ideally perhaps asking that while installing (like opera, "[ ] Use Seperate User Profiles" or somthing like that).

best regards,
Inuyasha

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by tzlaine »

Thanks for reporting this. I am an infrequent user of Windows, so this is news to me. I'll fix this "soon", probably in a week or two, since I'll be on holiday starting tomorrow.

Inuyasha
Space Krill

#3 Post by Inuyasha »

Thanks for the fast reply.

You most probably know it, but just as a reminder: under the nt series systems, there is an environment variable which points to the application data directory of the current user (%APPDATA%).

best regards,
Inuyasha

Yoghurt
Programmer

Re: FreeOrion won't run under a limited account on windows 2

#4 Post by Yoghurt »

Inuyasha wrote:A program should not expect to have write access to its program directory, and should store any configuration files under Application Data.
At last! Someone who agrees with me ;)

(No offence, Zach. You are doing a great job!)

Inuyasha
Space Krill

#5 Post by Inuyasha »

Just tried 0.3 RC4, and lo and behold, the savegames are now saved in the user's profile directory.

Edit: The settings get saved there too, it is just wrongly displayed in the settings window. So, it's a bug (going to report it now).

But! Oh, I still found something: The savegames and settings shouldn't be saved in a direct subdirectory of the user profile directory, but in a subdirectory of "Application Data" or "Anwendungsdaten" (or the equivalent name in the system language).

best regards,
Inuyasha