Project announcement

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Project announcement

#1 Post by Tyreth »

The time has come that we are ready for FreeOrion to be announced publicly and linked to from other websites. We have submitted a notice to some websites, but invite you to do so to places you think are appropriate.

Post in this thread information on any place where you have submitted news about FreeOrion and the 0.3 release so that others do not duplicate.

Please try to use, where appropriate, text from this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1235
Or information from the wiki that describes the project.

A list of sites that have been submitted to so far are:
happypenguin.org
linux-gamers.net
linuxgames.com
freshmeat.net

Remember: Don't spam other sites! If you aren't sure if you should post somewhere, then ask here first.

Thanks

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#2 Post by MikkoM »

Here is a complete list of those sites that I have currently submitted the news to:

//murobbs.muropaketti.com/ (The programming section). Muropaketti is a big Finnish computer discussion forum.

//www.suomipelit.com. Suomipelit is a Finnish game and programming discussion forum.

www.codecall.net

www.codeguru.com
Last edited by MikkoM on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

Re: Project announcement

#3 Post by MikkoM »

News submitted now also to: www.codecall.net

I wasn’t sure whether a new post was necessary or not to say this, but decided to write one, so that other possible advertisers would notice this minor update.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

MikkoM wrote:[...]Currently we are in stage 0.4 of 1.0, which includes space combat model, ship design model and tech tree for both of the above. [...]
Reading this, I would think that space combat and ship design are already done, if I wouldn't know otherwise. I think it's phrased unfavorable, but I could be wrong.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#5 Post by MikkoM »

pd wrote:
MikkoM wrote:[...]Currently we are in stage 0.4 of 1.0, which includes space combat model, ship design model and tech tree for both of the above. [...]
Reading this, I would think that space combat and ship design are already done, if I wouldn't know otherwise. I think it's phrased unfavorable, but I could be wrong.
And I was worried that the reader might think that we haven`t even started stage 0.4 yet. Anyway I added this to the message after the quoted sentence: (Some design decisions for this stage have already been made together with some coding, but the stage is not yet complete even design wise). Do you think that this is accurate enough? Also, are there any other parts of the message that might need some rewriting? And is this message suitable to be posted on other English language sites as well, or does it make a native English speaker throw the monitor out of a window, because the message is so horrible?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

I'm not a native english speaker myself, but I think the rest is fine.

Regarding v0.4 you could link to the design pad, which is particular well done in my opinion.

Also, a link to the programming work site might be appropriate.

Thanks for the effort!

I've edited your post, to link to the thread in question, btw.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#7 Post by MikkoM »

pd wrote:I'm not a native english speaker myself, but I think the rest is fine.
Yes, that part of my message was meant mostly for some other possible reader, since I have always thought that you are from Germany. And the reason behind this brilliant conclusion is that you have posted to the German section of this forum. Although even I could have posted something there if only I wouldn`t have been so lazy when I was younger.
pd wrote: Regarding v0.4 you could link to the design pad, which is particular well done in my opinion.

Also, a link to the programming work site might be appropriate.
I added these links to the post, although hopefully new people that are interested in this project are also so resourceful that they are able to use the wiki page themselves. :wink: However my past advertisement experience on some Finnish forums has unfortunately proved that this isn`t always the case.

Edit: News submitted now also to: //www.codeguru.com