Twentieth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Twentieth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#406 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:51 pmWhere exactly does it say it alliance with LR?
In the lobby chat, not in here:
[27 jul. 07:07:39] wobbly: LR never agreed to a peace deal

Well, it doesn't say "alliance with LR", true, my fault, apologies. But my point was that you needed peace with LR, which didn't happen. So that prevented your alliance with DB, so it makes a lot of sense from my point of view that you accepted my support.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#407 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:56 pm which I took as we go around talking to all players in every game mucking around with their minds.

Which I thought was smart and funny, and my estimation of Wobbly went up.
OK, so the problem is language? Not my first time, I keep learning new phrasal verbs.

I understand by your "mucking around": to be inconsiderate, to treat you like a dumb, to fool you. That doesn't sound fun...

But you meant being tricky or mischievous in the good sense?
Oooooookey... :roll:

Yes, we can drop this now :mrgreen:

Endhu
Pupating Mass

#408 Post by Endhu »

I currently have to play Freeorion from a manjaro linux computer, compiled from source. Previously I managed to make it work, however now the Boost library has upgraded to version 1.79 and that seems to have broken my previous Freeorion installation as it is looking explicitly for boost libraries with the version 1.78.
An easy fix would be to just recompile right? Problem is that that doesn't work anymore either, due to unknown reasons. Always fails when building freeorioncommon with

Code: Select all

[ 45%] Built target freeorioncommon
make: *** [Makefile:156: all] Error 2
I've already redownloaded the source multiple times, the issue persists
Any ideas on how to fix this? One would be to simply revert to an older version of Boost, but that seems impossible; another is to try installing a different linux distro that has precompiled binaries for weekly test builds (or windows), though I'd like to avoid that

Should I try asking in another thread? Any more information I should post?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#409 Post by Oberlus »

Endhu wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:06 amnow the Boost library has upgraded to version 1.79 and that seems to have broken my previous Freeorion installation as it is looking explicitly for boost libraries with the version 1.78.
Maybe try setting the minimum version to your current version, "set(MINIMUM_BOOST_VERSION 1.79.0)" in the freeorion/CMakeLists.txt file, and rerunning "cmake ../freeorion" from the build folder?

o01eg
Programmer

#410 Post by o01eg »

Endhu wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:06 am I currently have to play Freeorion from a manjaro linux computer, compiled from source. Previously I managed to make it work, however now the Boost library has upgraded to version 1.79 and that seems to have broken my previous Freeorion installation as it is looking explicitly for boost libraries with the version 1.78.
An easy fix would be to just recompile right? Problem is that that doesn't work anymore either, due to unknown reasons. Always fails when building freeorioncommon with

Code: Select all

[ 45%] Built target freeorioncommon
make: *** [Makefile:156: all] Error 2
I've already redownloaded the source multiple times, the issue persists
Any ideas on how to fix this? One would be to simply revert to an older version of Boost, but that seems impossible; another is to try installing a different linux distro that has precompiled binaries for weekly test builds (or windows), though I'd like to avoid that

Should I try asking in another thread? Any more information I should post?
Better to open issue about compilation error and include here build log up to "error:" line.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Endhu
Pupating Mass

#411 Post by Endhu »

In the end I tried to compile newer commits and one from Jun 20 ended up working. Some things are displayed incorrectly but it's acceptable

Still it's really weird that the May 5 commit can't compile now when it could perfectly fine before. I guess it's due to some library updating (maybe Boost).

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#412 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:24 am He uses Snap, in Linux, to install FreeOrion (instead of compiling himself). Snap system has its own quirks and issues regarding channels and updates, like disappearing if the maintainer doesn't do this or the user doesn't do that after some time.
I publish the snap for the slow game to something similar to a development/bugfix/feature branch. The snap system expectation is that this build is temporary and not intended for a bigger/unaware audience.
For a permanent and immediately visible (to the whole public) channel i need to ask in the snap store forum. It's a kind of a curation policy in the ubuntu snap store.
Oberlus wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:24 am So LR changed his machine for whatever reason and is having trouble installing FO
he used the wrong command trying to install
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#413 Post by Oberlus »

Endhu wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:11 pm In the end I tried to compile newer commits and one from Jun 20 ended up working. Some things are displayed incorrectly but it's acceptable

Still it's really weird that the May 5 commit can't compile now when it could perfectly fine before. I guess it's due to some library updating (maybe Boost).
I advice to keep trying compiling the right version for the game. Your UI with a later versions, with different content, will do weird things like showing you wrong predictions. It can be used if you are aware of the differences to ignore what's not accurate, but still anoying.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#414 Post by wobbly »

Note to LR (or anyone else who's interested) about Defense Focus and Turn Orders. I've watched you switch to defense 1 turn too late all game.

Turn Order
Troops Invade. Ships move. Combat Occurs. Meters grow.

Meters grow after movement and combat phases. If my ships are 1 turn away it's too late. They'll hit before defense kicks in. The 1 exception is the defense regeneration tech which gives a small regen even after combat.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#415 Post by Daybreak »

Hey guys - I dont know what has hapened to Endhu, but the turn will automatically happen soon - Can I ask you hold off attacking his fleet until we hear from him.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#416 Post by wobbly »

Daybreak wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:53 pm Hey guys - I dont know what has hapened to Endhu, but the turn will automatically happen soon - Can I ask you hold off attacking his fleet until we hear from him.
That'd just end up stuffing our plans up instead of his. Either you convince o01eg to pause the clocks, he turns or he lives with the consequences of not turning.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#417 Post by Daybreak »

Yes true.

Endhu may have planned for this anyway.

o01eg
Programmer

#418 Post by o01eg »

I've decided to postpone turn change for another 48h.
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

o01eg
Programmer

#419 Post by o01eg »

Endhu wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:06 am I currently have to play Freeorion from a manjaro linux computer, compiled from source. Previously I managed to make it work, however now the Boost library has upgraded to version 1.79 and that seems to have broken my previous Freeorion installation as it is looking explicitly for boost libraries with the version 1.78.
I've tried to build revision in manjaro docker and fixed compilation with #include <memory> in parse/Parse.h.

Endhu
Pupating Mass

#420 Post by Endhu »

I'm sorry for suddenly disappearing. Should've written something about it. Wednesday was inconvenient to play so I thought I'd get some time Thursday morning but somehow couldn't get enough internet time together until now, it's been unexpectedly busy.