Twentieth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Twentieth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#211 Post by Ophiuchus »

o01eg wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:54 pm I've restarted test game.
cant connect as observer (password wrong for player ophiuchus) using current snap
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#212 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:50 pm Since bug has been diagnosed by wobbly, and it is a matter of a policy (avoidable) and FOCS (fixable without changing binaries), LienRag, do you want to play this game?
Yes, I would like to, thanks.
What is the problem with Flanking FOCS that causes the reduction in Launch capacity ? Is it difficult to solve ?

o01eg
Programmer

#213 Post by o01eg »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:12 am
o01eg wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:54 pm I've restarted test game.
cant connect as observer (password wrong for player ophiuchus) using current snap
Restarted test game, should be allowed now for anyone registered on the server to be observer.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#214 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:59 am What is the problem with Flanking FOCS that causes the reduction in Launch capacity ? Is it difficult to solve ?
No idea. Code looks OK, but is a tough one:

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... xt#L76-L79
It should increase launch rate of ships with interceptor hangars and left untouched the rest. No idea why it does not work. Quick workaround is removing the launch rate increase altogether (the lines I highlighted), and just keep the damage boosts to striker/bomber/weapons, which makes some sense if we want.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#215 Post by wobbly »

wobbly wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:30 pm Edit: Note I didn't check whether Charge works as intended, which I'll do later. It doesn't set launch to 0. Just adopting flanking does.
Charge works. It doesn't display in the tool tip, but it is correct in the combat logs.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#216 Post by wobbly »

I think we should just play. We've waited long enough

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#217 Post by Oberlus »

Start the 20th game!
I'm reloading this page every few minutes waiting for o01eg's announcement!

o01eg
Programmer

#218 Post by o01eg »

20th game started!
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#219 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:08 am
LienRag wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:59 am What is the problem with Flanking FOCS that causes the reduction in Launch capacity ? Is it difficult to solve ?
No idea. Code looks OK, but is a tough one:

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... xt#L76-L79
It should increase launch rate of ships with interceptor hangars and left untouched the rest. No idea why it does not work. Quick workaround is removing the launch rate increase altogether (the lines I highlighted), and just keep the damage boosts to striker/bomber/weapons, which makes some sense if we want.
i am sure this is a regression (something in the backend changed and broke it), but its hard to pinpoint by just grepping the code (no access to dev machine).

ignoring the details it should increase the current Value, it should not be able to decrease it.

is your workaround necessary? i think actually that the other lines work (if i did not mess up the arc disruptor got the boost)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#220 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:43 pm is your workaround necessary? i think actually that the other lines work (if i did not mess up the arc disruptor got the boost)
Nothing necessary here. I just suggested a quick workaround (removing the effect that does not work properly, leaving the rest untouched), not a fix. Even quicker is not using Flanking at all. I would prefer code that works, obviously. I'm afraid I can't help debugging that.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#221 Post by LienRag »

Time out when trying to connect...
(I was able to connect prviously from a different computer elsewhere, though)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#222 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag playing tons of turns in the test game but delaying the real game from turn 1. Typical. :twisted:

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#223 Post by wobbly »

LienRag wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:16 pm Time out when trying to connect...
(I was able to connect prviously from a different computer elsewhere, though)
Did you get your username right? You didn't try and log in as lIENrAG or anything similar?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#224 Post by LienRag »

The snap hadn't refreshed (there was apparently a problem connecting to the snap server).
I played both turns.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#225 Post by wobbly »

Oberlus wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:05 am
LienRag wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:32 am But with it, getting rid of early Maintenance Ships is much more difficult, for example.

Another thing : on many of the test games either me or other players were boxed in a small subset of systems, is the starting position generator well calibrated ?
That's as expected. It happens too on SP games. In the last two weeks I started six games (played for 30 to 120 turns), all settings to medium. Sometimes I had plenty of natives around readily accessible, sometimes I had just one in 10 hops around my world and protected by a monster. Only once I had nothing to invade/colonize until I killed a Maintenance Ship, I was Chato and used symb zortrium arc disruptors (level 2), pilling up some troopers in the meantime, then I was able to catch up in the planets race with Colonization policy and quickly invading some natives after freeing myself. I understand players like Magnate being against playing with monsters, when that clashes so hard with their playstyle and don't feel comfortable having to adjust or to face this kind of disadvantage at game start. In my case, I don't mind, it brings spice to the games, whether I am the one with free colonization at start or the one enclosed in a pocket with nothing to colonize. I was more like Magnate a year ago, feeling frustration when I had an unlucky start, but experience in MP games, watching what other players can do, made me change my mind.
Pretty sure this happened when I extended guard monsters to the resource specials. So on the one hand you are unlucky and getting boxed in, on the other you are lucky and got a resource special.