Kosymod - My set of modifications

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

drkosy
Space Dragon

Kosymod - My set of modifications

#1 Post by drkosy »

I did some modification on the game to fit better my likes. This is still work in progress but I like to share this very early version with you. I would be glad if some of you like to give it a try. You are welcome to leave comments here.

Changes:
1.) Organic growth specials generate RP if focus is set to research.

2.) Thinktanks, Patriotism, Democracy and Automation are introduced as new policies.

3.) Some policies are changed (e.g. Terraforming)

4.) Metropoles is changed to stand for tall empires: Resource output of colonies is more efficient the less colonies the empire ownes.
Interstellar Infrastructure stands for wide empires: Resource output or colonies is more efficient the more colonies the empire ownes

5.) Democracy is a new kind of government. To change to democracy you have to apply "Liberty" first. Than you are able to build the "Parlament" (only available at your homeworld). After it is finished apply the policy "Democracy". You now can remove the imperial palace. [This is intended to get rid of the stability-malus of scylor but works well with other species]

6.) Introduced new weapons: Phasor, Point-Singularity-Projector, Stellar Converter. Death Ray is now the high end weapon for external slots and can only be found in ancient ruins.

7.) Biospheres and Paralment are new buildings.

8.) Several changes to the traits of species and a complete rework of the likes / dislikes.

All differences are documented in the pedia (actually only english is up to date, german is still work in progress)

Github:
https://github.com/drkosy/Kosymod (Tested with build 2022-12-22.b2825e4)

I hope you enjoy my changes :D

How to install:
1.) Clone the git-repo (git clone https://github.com/drkosy/Kosymod)
2.) Start the game and set the "ressource path" in Options -> Directories to the "Kosymod"-folder
3.) Set the "Language file" in Options -> UI to "Kosymod/stringtables/en.txt" / or "de.txt"
4.) Restart the game

It's tested for the named version of self-built games and might not be working on snaps or different versions of the game.
Last edited by drkosy on Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Kosymod - My set of modifications

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Nice work, even adjusted the AI to use the new weapons.
Sadly I do not think I have time to try it out :(

My main complaint would be that this does not include revision information. From which revision did you branch? Knowing the revision it is much easier to diff (and also much easier to merge new stuff).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

The zip file seems unavailable at the moment: "The requested page could not be found."

Was it only the default folder?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:48 am The zip file seems unavailable at the moment: "The requested page could not be found."
wrong url in OP; should be: https://peter.christianix.de/Bilder/share/Kosymod.zip
Was it only the default folder?
yes
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

drkosy
Space Dragon

#5 Post by drkosy »

wrong url in OP
Thanks! I changed that in my post. My browser (firefox) added the "https" itselve so I thougt that is for every browser...
Nice work, even adjusted the AI to use the new weapons.
Thanks! It was quite some trial and error till I got it right :)
Knowing the revision it is much easier to diff
Sorry, that was actually missing. I use the mod with build 2022-07-14.9471f4f
Every time I compile a fresh build I watch possible changes (e.g. focs-Files swaped to python), but that happens about monthly.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by wobbly »

I'll take a look too.

Do you have a github repository? Its easier to look at what you changed if you do, but admittedly I can just copy it into my local repos and look for what changed fairly easily.

o01eg
Programmer

#7 Post by o01eg »

Using git will also simplify tracking and updating your changes with upstream game content.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

drkosy
Space Dragon

#8 Post by drkosy »

Do you have a github repository
Nope, actually I didn't think about it.
I use my github account just to report bugs on the freeorion-project. Maybe after my holiday I have some time put it on github. Thanks for the advise :D

drkosy
Space Dragon

#9 Post by drkosy »

I actually put my mod to github: https://github.com/drkosy/Kosymod

I'm very new to github so it you have any hints to do things better, just feel free to tell me.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#10 Post by drkosy »

Updated version available on github :)

Changes:
1.) Now works with build 2022-08-19.0f5568e
2.) Organic growth specials gives RP if focus of the colony is set to research

I removed the .zip file to reduce my work :idea:

Grummel7
Space Dragon

#11 Post by Grummel7 »

drkosy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:38 pm I removed the .zip file to reduce my work :idea:
Next thing you should remove is all those __pychache__ directories, after copying freeorion's .gitignore. :wink:

drkosy
Space Dragon

#12 Post by drkosy »

Next thing you should remove is all those __pychache__ directories, after copying freeorion's .gitignore.
Hmm, I'll check that. Thanks for the hint :)

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by wobbly »

drkosy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:38 pm 2.) Organic growth specials gives RP if focus of the colony is set to research
Minor note that I like this and think its worth considering for main branch.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by wobbly »

As an addendum it'd be fun to play a game of kosymod, after main branch release and see if there's some fun stuff here. I'd also be willing to play if you got a server together and players.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:09 pm Minor note that I like this and think its worth considering for main branch.
I like the idea of giving some other use out of metabolisms for those specials, so that all metabolism might be interested on them (harder diplomacy).

Also, or instead, add new specials with varied effects and descriptions for extra lore/candy.

For research there is Temporal Anomaly (extra per-pop RP focused; less pop), Eccentric Orbit (extra flat RP unfocused; less supply), Phillosopher Planet (extra flat RP for in-system colonies, unfocused; can't colonize the planet), and Computronium Moon (extra per-pop RP for supply connected colonies, focused; no drawbacks except strong monsters watching it).
I can think of two more relatively varied:
- Extra dimensional fissure/door: extra per-pop RP focused, less stability, fluff about bad stuff coming through the door but being interesting for research. Optionally a project or building could seal the door and replace the special by a stability bonus.
- Precurssor machinery: extra flat RP focused / extra flat PP focused, no drawbacks except medium monsters. Optionally, with Racial Purity adopted, a project or building could destroy the artifacts and replace it with some other special about own culture pride (and intolerance of others) that gives extra influence on that planet.
I'm sure we could get more ideas. Also for more PP, IP, stockpiling and stability.