Hostile Planet Takeover

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Gray Area
Space Squid

Hostile Planet Takeover

#1 Post by Gray Area »

Hello Fellow Players,

I haven't played the game in many years, but it's nice to see that much progress has been made in the game's development.

I'm playing a game right now using Version "FreeOrion_2022-07-18.e2b87da_Test_Win32."

I have wiped out the entire population of what appears to be the home planet of a hostile species by bombarding them with Death Spores. Unfortunately, the planet's Planetary Defense Network is still intact, even though the planet's inhabitants are gone.

So, I'm asking for suggestions on how to disable/destroy the Planetary Defense Network, so that I may takeover the planet.

Thank you, in advance, for your interest and response.

Gray Area

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Hostile Planet Takeover

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Hi! Welcome back.

Planetary Defense Network is the name of the base damage of planetary defenses (the guns of the planet vs ships). Planetary defenses don't need to be zero to invade a planet. Troopers can invade if the planet has no shields. Shields can be taken down by attacking the planet with anti-planet weapons (MD, Laser... Heavy Bombers, Arc Disruptor I think...). So I don't know what's your actual problem.

Maybe a screenshot would help.

Gray Area
Space Squid

#3 Post by Gray Area »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:09 pm Hi! Welcome back.

Planetary Defense Network is the name of the base damage of planetary defenses (the guns of the planet vs ships). Planetary defenses don't need to be zero to invade a planet. Troopers can invade if the planet has no shields. Shields can be taken down by attacking the planet with anti-planet weapons (MD, Laser... Heavy Bombers, Arc Disruptor I think...). So I don't know what's your actual problem.

Thank you for your quick reply.

From your reply, it appears that I need to learn how to land troopers on the planet.

If I fail completely in learning how to do that, I'll come back and bother you with a screenshot.

Again, thanks for your quick reply.

Gray Area

Gray Area
Space Squid

#4 Post by Gray Area »

Gray Area wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:45 pm
Oberlus wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:09 pm Hi! Welcome back.

Thank you for your quick reply.

From your reply, it appears that I need to learn how to land troopers on the planet.

If I fail completely in learning how to do that, I'll come back and bother you with a screenshot.

Again, thanks for your quick reply.

Gray Area
I'm stuck inside of some strange loop, where I post a reply with screenshots, but am kicked out of the forum when I try to Preview what I wrote.

Gray Area

Gray Area
Space Squid

#5 Post by Gray Area »

I can not compose and submit any type of lengthy message without being automatically logged out of this forum.

Is this normal for this forum?

Gray Area

Gray Area
Space Squid

#6 Post by Gray Area »

Hello again.

I composed this message utilizing word processing software, then cut-and-pasted it onto the forum in the hopes of avoiding some kind of weird 'timed out' forum function.

I have no idea how to include screenshots utilizing this procedure.

Anyway, I first tried to build trooper ships utilizing the Production Items area of my trooper source planet.

This did not work, as when I selected Heavy Troop Drop, or Troop Drop ships, icons simply appeared in space, but they can not fly.

On my second try, I utilized the ship Design area to build a simple trooper ship. This worked, and I was able to land my trooper ship on my target planet.

Now, I have troopers on my target planet, but I am not in possession of the planet.

So, what do I do next? do I have to keep sending more and more troopers to the planet as per some troopers per planet size formula?

Thank you in advance for you interest and your help.

Gray Area

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#7 Post by Daybreak »

Gray Area wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:11 pm Hello again.

I composed this message utilizing word processing software, then cut-and-pasted it onto the forum in the hopes of avoiding some kind of weird 'timed out' forum function.

Anyway, I first tried to build trooper ships utilizing the Production Items area of my trooper source planet.

This did not work, as when I selected Heavy Troop Drop, or Troop Drop ships, icons simply appeared in space, but they can not fly.

On my second try, I utilized the ship Design area to build a simple trooper ship. This worked, and I was able to land my trooper ship on my target planet.

Now, I have troopers on my target planet, but I am not in possession of the planet.

So, what do I do next? do I have to keep sending more and more troopers to the planet as per some troopers per planet size formula?

Gray Area
When you look at a planet you can see how many troops it has. You have to send more troops than the planet has to defeat them.

See how many troops your troop ship holds, and then build enogh ships to hold the troops you need. Note that although the planet you are attacking may say something like 20 Troops - dont just send 20, send slighlty more.

Gray Area
Space Squid

#8 Post by Gray Area »

Daybreak wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:22 pm
Gray Area wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:11 pm Hello again.

Gray Area
When you look at a planet you can see how many troops it has. You have to send more troops than the planet has to defeat them.

See how many troops your troop ship holds, and then build enogh ships to hold the troops you need. Note that although the planet you are attacking may say something like 20 Troops - dont just send 20, send slighlty more.
Daybreak,

Thank you. Your advice worked. But, many strange things appeared to happen in the process.

For instance my first move had been to send in only one (1) ship carrying one (1) Advanced Ground Troop Pod composed of four (4) units. But, upon landing on the target planet, the Troops meter indicated that fourteen (14) troops were on the ground.

Next, I sent in a second identical troop ship. Then upon landing, the target planet Troops meter indicated that only two (2) troops were on the ground, instead of what should have been eight (8) troops total. So, were my troops killing each other, rather than reinforcing each other?

Last, I sent ten (10) more identical troop ships to the target planet. Upon selecting invasion, however, perhaps only one of these ships was sent down. But, the planet was taken, while the Troops meter again indicated only a few troops on the ground.

The next time I try this I'm going to have to keep special notes of my every move, as during this whole process the troop numbers didn't seem to add up correctly.

Thanks again for your advice.

Gray Area

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#9 Post by Daybreak »

Gray Area wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:37 pm Daybreak,

Thank you. Your advice worked. But, many strange things appeared to happen in the process.

For instance my first move had been to send in only one (1) ship carrying one (1) Advanced Ground Troop Pod composed of four (4) units. But, upon landing on the target planet, the Troops meter indicated that fourteen (14) troops were on the ground.

Next, I sent in a second identical troop ship. Then upon landing, the target planet Troops meter indicated that only two (2) troops were on the ground, instead of what should have been eight (8) troops total. So, were my troops killing each other, rather than reinforcing each other?

Last, I sent ten (10) more identical troop ships to the target planet. Upon selecting invasion, however, perhaps only one of these ships was sent down. But, the planet was taken, while the Troops meter again indicated only a few troops on the ground.

The next time I try this I'm going to have to keep special notes of my every move, as during this whole process the troop numbers didn't seem to add up correctly.

Gray Area
You never see your troops on the ground, until you capture the planet.

You only see the enemy troops

Bit hard for us to know exactly what happened, but -
So until you captured the planet, you saw the result of the troop battle. Basically you fought the enemy troops reducing them down to 2 enemy troops left, and then finally you only needed one ship of 4 troops to take the planet.

Gray Area
Space Squid

#10 Post by Gray Area »

Daybreak wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:04 am
Gray Area wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:37 pm Daybreak,

Gray Area
You never see your troops on the ground, until you capture the planet.

You only see the enemy troops

Bit hard for us to know exactly what happened, but -
So until you captured the planet, you saw the result of the troop battle. Basically you fought the enemy troops reducing them down to 2 enemy troops left, and then finally you only needed one ship of 4 troops to take the planet.
Daybreak,

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

Gray Area

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by Oberlus »

Gray Area, to stop the forum from kicking you, try to mark the "remember me" checkbox when logging in.

To upload screenshots I'm not having any trouble lately, but just in case, do not click on preview after attaching a file, I remember there was some problem that made the attachments to disappear.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by LienRag »

Gray Area, maybe what happened is that you let the enemy troops regrow between each invasion ?
Usually it's better to invade in one swoop...

(better ground combat is on the roadmap, but not for 0.5.x IIRC)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:32 am Gray Area, maybe what happened is that you let the enemy troops regrow between each invasion ?
Probably not, because his warships kept bombing the planet, which prevents planet's troops regeneration. Gray Area also pointed out the numbers: eafter invading with 4, there were 14 left; after invading with another 4, there were 2 left (should be 10...), so there is nothing about troops regrowing, just lack of experience with the UI.

Gray Area
Space Squid

#14 Post by Gray Area »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:06 am Gray Area, to stop the forum from kicking you, try to mark the "remember me" checkbox when logging in.

To upload screenshots I'm not having any trouble lately, but just in case, do not click on preview after attaching a file, I remember there was some problem that made the attachments to disappear.
Thanks for the advice. I will do/not do both.

Gray Area

Gray Area
Space Squid

#15 Post by Gray Area »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:32 am Gray Area, maybe what happened is that you let the enemy troops regrow between each invasion ?
Usually it's better to invade in one swoop...

(better ground combat is on the roadmap, but not for 0.5.x IIRC)
LienRag,

You are correct, that's exactly what happened.

My biggest problem with playing the game, however, is the lack of a detailed manual explaining the game's intricacies, details about the capabilities of the various Research items, Ship components, etc.

Once deep into the game, it takes a very, very long time to figure out how everything is supposed to work using the "trial-and-error method."

It's fortunate that people like yourself have the patience, and take the time to answer questions from people like me.

Thanks,

Gray Area