Hostile Planet Takeover

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Hostile Planet Takeover

#61 Post by LienRag »

Actually High Cloud Cover is a special, just one that can be created through a tech.

Gray Area
Space Squid

#62 Post by Gray Area »

LienRag wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:01 pm Actually High Cloud Cover is a special, just one that can be created through a tech.
LienRag,

That makes sense.

Gray Area

Gray Area
Space Squid

#63 Post by Gray Area »

Gray Area wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:16 pm Daybreak, Oberlus, and wobbly,

But, never fear, I'm pretty sure (Knowing that I've already been wrong twice.) that I've found an actual, genuine "bug." I'll explain, with screenshots, in a separate, new post.

Gray Area
Daybreak, Oberlus, and wobbly,

Never mind. And, I don't want to talk about it.

Gray Area

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#64 Post by Oberlus »

Gray Area wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:10 pm Never mind. And, I don't want to talk about it.
:lol:
That's OK :D

About the cloud special and the such, which give planets extra stealth (so you need more detection to be able to see them), those can come from a monster (that itself has high stealth so you can't see until later) or from techs researched by the empire that owns the planet, or temporarily from galaxy fields. The stealth of a planet is shown in the purple dashed eye icon.

Gray Area
Space Squid

#65 Post by Gray Area »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:53 pm
Gray Area wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:10 pm Never mind. And, I don't want to talk about it.
:lol:
That's OK :D

About the cloud special and the such, which give planets extra stealth (so you need more detection to be able to see them), those can come from a monster (that itself has high stealth so you can't see until later) or from techs researched by the empire that owns the planet, or temporarily from galaxy fields. The stealth of a planet is shown in the purple dashed eye icon.
Oberlus,

Thanks. I'll pay attention to that icon in the future.

Gray Area

Gray Area
Space Squid

#66 Post by Gray Area »

Daybreak, Oberlus, and wobbly,

I'm skipping ahead to Item # 4 for now, as reposted below:

4. On one planet that I had successfully taken, the foreign species simply slowly died off, even though I had done nothing specific to cause that to happen. All I had done was taken the planet, and changed the Focus from Research to Industry. I did not try to build anything on the planet. I merely left a couple of Attack Ships in orbit for my own convenience to manage my fleet.

An "approximate" recreation of what happened can be seen on the screenshot below:

I use the word "approximate" because there was still a small, but live population of creatures on the planet when I originally knocked out its defending ships, and invaded it with Troop Ships. As you can see from the screenshot, in this recreation, the main population is already dead, and there is nothing left but the Ground Troops.

As the Chato have their Home World on neighboring Eros Beta I, I suspect they were also the species that inhabited Eros Alpha II. (I'm not completely sure of anything right now after all the mistakes I've been making.)

Now, the Pedia says that the Chato find Toxic planets like their Home World "Good", while Radiated planets like Eros Alpha II are rated "Poor."

So, I suspect the Chato colonized a neighboring world that was not suitable for their species.

Further, according to the Pedia, there was nothing that I could have done to save them.

I can think of no other explaination for what happened.

Gray Area
Attachments
FreeOrion - Eros Alpha II upon defeating Enemy Ships.jpg
FreeOrion - Eros Alpha II upon defeating Enemy Ships.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1246 times

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#67 Post by wobbly »

It is possible that the AI is colonizing planets where it can't survive. Also possible that the AI has the growth techs to have a colony on a planet with a "poor" environment.
Grummel7 wrote:
Grummel are you able to confirm whether the AI is colonizing properly?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#68 Post by Oberlus »

Gray Area, I haven't seen the AI colonizing planets where it can't surive. Could be a bug that you found and that happens in every game, but it would be strange that something so obvious and reproducible wasn't spotted by other playtesters.

It would be necessary to have a save game of the situation before it happens, so the turn before you invade that planet, so that we can see everything that happens to produce the bug.

Grummel7
Space Dragon

#69 Post by Grummel7 »

Gray Area wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:00 am 4. On one planet that I had successfully taken, the foreign species simply slowly died off, even though I had done nothing specific to cause that to happen. All I had done was taken the planet, and changed the Focus from Research to Industry. I did not try to build anything on the planet. I merely left a couple of Attack Ships in orbit for my own convenience to manage my fleet.
The most likely explanation is that the AI that settled it had other planets exporting growth specials. So it could survive while receiving these specials, but started dying when you blockaded the system, cutting it off from supply.

Nevertheless, I probably shouldn't have settled this planet. I recently changed the rating code, but I know it is not perfect yet, and I am not sure whether I can fix this in the rating or must change the way the ratings are used.

Which version of the game are you playing? If the AI is already using the new colony rating code, I could tell you more if you can upload the AI log.

Gray Area
Space Squid

#70 Post by Gray Area »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:28 am Gray Area, I haven't seen the AI colonizing planets where it can't surive. Could be a bug that you found and that happens in every game, but it would be strange that something so obvious and reproducible wasn't spotted by other playtesters.

It would be necessary to have a save game of the situation before it happens, so the turn before you invade that planet, so that we can see everything that happens to produce the bug.
Oberlus,

I've been trying to attach a save game from before I invaded the planet. However, Firefox, my web browser, will not recognize the .sav file type. When I finally figure out what that problem is, I'll send the file.

Gray Area

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#71 Post by wobbly »

Gray Area wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:17 pm
Oberlus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:28 am Gray Area, I haven't seen the AI colonizing planets where it can't surive. Could be a bug that you found and that happens in every game, but it would be strange that something so obvious and reproducible wasn't spotted by other playtesters.

Oberlus,

I've been trying to attach a save game from before I invaded the planet. However, Firefox, my web browser, will not recognize the .sav file type. When I finally figure out what that problem is, I'll send the file.

Gray Area
zip the save file. The forum will only except certain extensions.

Gray Area
Space Squid

#72 Post by Gray Area »

Grummel7 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:26 am
Gray Area wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:00 am 4. On one planet that I had successfully taken, the foreign species simply slowly died off, even though I had done nothing specific to cause that to happen. All I had done was taken the planet, and changed the Focus from Research to Industry. I did not try to build anything on the planet. I merely left a couple of Attack Ships in orbit for my own convenience to manage my fleet.
The most likely explanation is that the AI that settled it had other planets exporting growth specials. So it could survive while receiving these specials, but started dying when you blockaded the system, cutting it off from supply.

Nevertheless, I probably shouldn't have settled this planet. I recently changed the rating code, but I know it is not perfect yet, and I am not sure whether I can fix this in the rating or must change the way the ratings are used.

Which version of the game are you playing? If the AI is already using the new colony rating code, I could tell you more if you can upload the AI log.
Grummel7,

I'm playing on Build 2022-07-26.9439c8d.

I've attached the latest AI log below.

Gray Area
Attachments
AI_6.7z
(10.78 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Gray Area
Space Squid

#73 Post by Gray Area »

wobbly wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:24 pm
Gray Area wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:17 pm

Oberlus,

Gray Area
zip the save file. The forum will only except certain extensions.
Oberlus,

Here's my second attempt at sending the file.

Gray Area
Attachments
AI_6.7z
(10.78 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

Grummel7
Space Dragon

#74 Post by Grummel7 »

Gray Area wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:31 pm I've attached the latest AI log below.
Gray Area,

This log is very short, I guess you have reloaded the game just before you copied it.
The AI logs are all emptied whenever you start or load a game, they only contain the logs of the current session.
The session doesn't even contains a complete turn:
07:07:20.605823 {0x000026a8} [info] python : generate_orders.py:136 : The AIstate indicates that this turn was already played.
07:07:20.605823 {0x000026a8} [info] python : generate_orders.py:141 : Aborting new order generation. Orders from savegame will still be issued.
If you let it run for one turn, I may be able to see how it evaluated Eros α II.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#75 Post by LienRag »

Gray Area : if you have a savegame from before you conquered the planet, but at a time where you can see it, you can hover over the Population meter and it will tell you what was the Target (if it's below 0 then there's a bug indeed) and what were the modifiers.
If the modifiers (without growth specials) put the Target above 1 then there was no bug, you just didn't have the technologies needed to keep Chatos living on that planet, but the AI had.
If the modifiers put the Target above 0 only with the growth Specials, then grummel is to blame for that... :mrgreen: