Mac OS X compiled version of the game

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Nice work; thanks for your effort / contribution.

EdicusRex
Space Krill

Can I get a copy?

#17 Post by EdicusRex »

Being that I know zero about programming and/or compiling, I am wondering if I can find a copy of the Mac compatible Free Orion for download? Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by eleazar »

Go to the following link: This forum doesn't want to format the entire line as a URL, but copy/paste the entire thing (from "http" -to- "dmg") into your browser.

http://n.ethz.ch/student/schwadri/FreeO ... d_libs.dmg
Last edited by eleazar on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

haravikk
Space Kraken

#19 Post by haravikk »

Absolutely awesome! I was just pottering about these forums when things were getting started, but this game is already excellent, and since MOO3 no longer works at all on my machine is a worthy addition to the few games that I really play! I absolutely can't wait to see what's in-store for this project!

eleazar

#20 Post by eleazar »

If anyone gets a mac version of 1.3.1 RC5 (the latest release) compiled, please share it.
If you are concerned about bandwidth i believe we could get it hosted on SourceForge.

RC5 supports dual-layer stars with a separate halo and core. I'd like to implement those, but i can't do it well without seeing the result in action.

captainobvious
Krill Swarm

RC5

#21 Post by captainobvious »

RC5 seems to compile just fine for me (other than some of the same issues I had with the previous version), but I must confess I don't really know much about Universal binaries, or getting FO to work with Apple's application structure. Perhaps whoever created the RC4.app could help? I am certainly willing to share any Intel-compiled unix executables if anyone is interested?

eleazar

Re: RC5

#22 Post by eleazar »

captainobvious wrote:I am certainly willing to share any Intel-compiled unix executables if anyone is interested?
unfortunately i have a PPC mac.

you could PM the creator of the previous binary.

Geoff the Medio

#23 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Are there any Mac user forums that might be asked to find someone who could do the compiling for you / us?

eleazar

#24 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Are there any Mac user forums that might be asked to find someone who could do the compiling for you / us?
I posted a request at my other major project.

Captain Obvious, another way you might help is to work up some explicit instructions for how to compile on a mac. I though there used to be some, but a search didn't turn anything up.

With very good directions and much suffering, i have gotten things to compile in the past.

Geoff the Medio

#25 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I don't know how specific it is to Intel Macs, but there is this:

http://freeorion.org/index.php/User:Cap ... OS_X_Intel

Which should probably be more prominently linked from somewhere in the wiki...

captainobvious
Krill Swarm

Compiling/PPC

#26 Post by captainobvious »

My instructions should work on PPC as well, as long as you have Mac OS 10.4 or better. I discovered that it is quite easy to compile GiGi/FreeOrion as Universal binary, but in order to link I must recompile all the dependencies as well. They don't use scons (which I discovered is a beautiful thing) so that may take me a while of hacking makefiles, but I'll let you know if I get it. In the mean time, I can probably tell you what to do if you have trouble compiling. Also, some of the instructions are probably no longer necessary, since many of the bugs were fixed since I wrote them.

eleazar

Re: Compiling/PPC

#27 Post by eleazar »

captainobvious wrote:My instructions should work on PPC as well, as long as you have Mac OS 10.4 or better. I discovered that it is quite easy to compile GiGi/FreeOrion as Universal binary, but in order to link I must recompile all the dependencies as well. They don't use scons (which I discovered is a beautiful thing) so that may take me a while of hacking makefiles, but I'll let you know if I get it. In the mean time, I can probably tell you what to do if you have trouble compiling. Also, some of the instructions are probably no longer necessary, since many of the bugs were fixed since I wrote them.
I'm gonna give it a try, though i may not get through it all in a day.
A couple things i noticed reading ahead:
• No mention is made of Fink/Finkcommander, which seems the easiest route to install the dependancies, assuming the necessary version is available on Fink. I'm gonna give it a try as much through Fink as i can.

• I'm confused about the source code edits. Many are listed, but there's a line that says none are now necessary.

EDIT:
I think i got through the first 10 dependancies using Fink,
but then i hit "DevIL" under "Things easy to compile"
I have these instructions:
>./configure
>make
>sudo make install
but my knowledge of terminal is limited. Presumably i need to make the folder with the sourcecode the current directory. Is there anything else i'm presumed to know?

By the time i get to the GiGi instructions i'm lost for sure.

captainobvious
Krill Swarm

#28 Post by captainobvious »

For whatever reason I've never used Fink. I probably should... that being said if you can get it to work with Fink great, if not the instructions are there.

With regard to source code edits, you are correct that none should be required anymore.

With regard to terminal, indeed you should change directory to the DeVIL directory. Of course there are a million places to find out about commands in terminal but for simplicity

cd <name of directory>
changes directory

cd ..
goes to the directory which contains the one you are in

ls
lists the contents of the current directory

pwd
tells you what directory you're in

and on Apple systems you can type
open .
to open the current directory in finder

That and
open -e <name of file>
opens the specified file with TextEdit

good luck![/img]

captainobvious
Krill Swarm

FO RC5 Universal

#29 Post by captainobvious »

I did manage to get the last FO to compile in universal format. It's a unix executable, not a .App, and it requires some "set up", but I'll work on that. All told it is probably around 100 MB.

captainobvious
Krill Swarm

FO RC5 Universal

#30 Post by captainobvious »

Ok, now I have a package installer that I think will work. It's 108 MB, and I don't really have anywhere to host it... but if anyone is interested let me know.