Mac OS X compiled version of the game

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: FO RC5 Universal

#31 Post by eleazar »

captainobvious wrote:Ok, now I have a package installer that I think will work. It's 108 MB, and I don't really have anywhere to host it... but if anyone is interested let me know.
:D Great!

I think we would add this to source-forge, but if not i have some unused bandwidth.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#32 Post by Tyreth »

Hi guys,

I've hosted this page on our freeorion.org domain space for testing.

Just a warning: I have not tested or verified that this file works, or that it won't crash your system or install a virus or whatever. So please use at your own risk.

If I get reports that it's of a good working status, then I'll put it up on Sourceforge.

captainobvious mentioned that there is a bug that causes a crash when you try to save game, so bear that in mind.

Please don't use this link too much or spread it around - just need a handful of tests. We have a monthly download limit, so try to avoid hosting files here:
http://www.freeorion.org/freeorion.dmg

Thanks

Sheldar
Space Floater

to sourceforge

#33 Post by Sheldar »

So you will post here to let us know when you transfer to Sourceforge?

eleazar

#34 Post by eleazar »

I played with it for a little over an hour. It crashed twice (one of those was at startup, so it doesn't seem any worse that the previous binary.

Of course there are various rough edges, but most of those i'm sure are simply the current state of the code.

I'm running 10.4.9 on a PPC laptop.

captainobvious
Krill Swarm

Save/Load

#35 Post by captainobvious »

eleazar, can you save/load?
I cannot, and understand this is a either a me-specific or a mac-specific issue

can you reproduce any of the other crashes?[/b]

eleazar

Re: Save/Load

#36 Post by eleazar »

captainobvious wrote:eleazar, can you save/load?
I cannot, and understand this is a either a me-specific or a mac-specific issue

can you reproduce any of the other crashes?[/b]
I've saved and loaded several times without incident.

The other crashes don't seem easy to nail down.
in one case it crashed while i clicked on a star to load the system view. But when i reloaded that turn, and clicked on the same planet, there was no crash.

This is similar to my experience with the previous mac binary. Crashes would occur, but without any discernible pattern or cause.

captainobvious
Krill Swarm

#37 Post by captainobvious »

Yes, the save/load crash is certainly specific to the Intel Platform.

The bug is in GiGi. It also only happens when the compiler is optimizing, so I think the best thing at this point is to turn off optimization in the one affected file. If anyone out there is experiencing this problem I can make a new libGiGi and libGiGiSDL if there is interest.

Every time it crashes, it should create (or append to) a file called FreeOrion.crash.log (or perhaps FreeOrionBinary.crash.log) in your Home Folder/Library/Logs/Crash Reporter. If you pm me those files I could take a look.[/b]

Sheldar
Space Floater

Looks good

#38 Post by Sheldar »

Had several crashes in seemingly random areas. I played in several galaxy types with number of stars ranging from 10 to 500. I never had a problem with the save and load scenario but occasionally had it crash in other locations:
- Colonize a world (crashed when it next turn)
- double-clicking on SitRep when a fleet reached a system and I double-clicked on the system name.
- a couple others that I forgot to write down.

Overall very good. (My first time running it.)

captainobvious
Krill Swarm

#39 Post by captainobvious »

Sheldar do run PPC or Intel? Are any of the bugs recurring?

Sheldar
Space Floater

#40 Post by Sheldar »

I believe PPC but not sure. The computer is inherited and the OS is Japanese (which I can't read.)

No none of the bugs are reoccurring. If I see one though I will save the crash log (I didn't know about that one yet.)

eleazar

#41 Post by eleazar »

Sheldar wrote:I believe PPC but not sure. The computer is inherited and the OS is Japanese (which I can't read.)
Wow :shock:

It will contain english language files, unless the former user went out of his way to delete them.

• in the applications folder open "system preferences": it looks like a light-switch with a grey apple logo on the right.

• then click the "international preferences": which look something like a blue UN flag.

• it shouldn't be too hard to choose your preferred language and input method from there. The exact procedure depends on which version you have.

eleazar

#42 Post by eleazar »

*bump*

I really think this should be added to sourceforge.