Thousand Parsec a Google SoC Mentor Organisation

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

mithro
Space Floater

Thousand Parsec a Google SoC Mentor Organisation

#1 Post by mithro »

The Thousand Parsec project has been accepted as a mentor organisation for Google Summer of Code (SoC). For those who don't know and are too lazy to click the link, Google SoC is a program where Google gives students $US 4500 to work on Open Source projects. Thousand Parsec is a "sister" project of FreeOrion, it aims to produce a generic framework for producing Space Empire (4x) games.

So, over the "summer" you could get money for working on Thousand Parsec. We have added a special page setup for you to see what type of ideas you could work on.

Applications close on the 24th of March, so you better get cracking! Applications which are submitted sooner will get more consideration and more likely to succeed (however don't rush them!).
---
http://www.thousandparsec.net/ - A journey of a thousand parsec starts with a single step

Alberjohns
Space Floater

#2 Post by Alberjohns »

Thousand Parsec looks like an interesting project. I have long been a fan of the Star! game, and Thousand Parsec looks a lot like Stars!

I compiled Thousand Parsec a few months ago, and everything seemed to compile OK, but I was not able to ever set up a game and play it. Probably because the server and client are separate programs, and there is no available documentation for how to set them up to work together on the same computer. For now, I have given up on Thousand Parsec. Maybe I will try it again in the future when the game is more polished and the documentation is better.

mithro
Space Floater

#3 Post by mithro »

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have been snowed under with my Honours project at University.

Since the start of 2007 we have been making a huge effort to make Thousand Parsec easier to get into. Things like having a game work out of the box is a big thing. As well we now have a metaserver which tracks currently active servers.

If you are having trouble getting started, maybe you should check out the Getting Started page. We are aways open to suggestions about how to improve the instructions! If you are on Mac, we also now have DMG images of the primary client. We would really like some people to help with making the client work well on Mac.

As well, we will hopefully get a huge amount of progress from the Summer of Code projects which where accepted. One of these projects is a web client which should make trying out Thousand Parsec for the first time very very easy (just go to a webpage in your browser). Another project is actively improving the metaserver, it will soon have a full matchmaking service.

Finally there is also going to be progress in making new games. Currently out only playable game (MiniSec) is very primative. Both the new Reach for the Stars Clone and MTSec will be much more fun to play (I don't know any other game which will let you design your own weapons!).

We really do need more testers/players however, without testers and players we find it hard to actually make sure things continue to work in new releases. We are also use to all the bugs and other problems, so it's hard to see what is making people not give the client a try.
---
http://www.thousandparsec.net/ - A journey of a thousand parsec starts with a single step

Wolverine
Space Floater

Re: Thousand Parsec a Google SoC Mentor Organisation

#4 Post by Wolverine »

Just my two cents. I don't think it's very ethical to try and encourage developers of FreeOrion to work on TP, despite the fact it's a promising project. I'm watching FreeOrion boards and despite the fact I'm not very active member, I understand it has serious lack of contributors especially in the area of coding. So that's why I think it's quite rude to try and convince existing developers to work on TP, given that FO has labor surplus and it's development is proceeding really slow.

Didn't mean to offend, I'm just stating my thoughts about this kind of behaviour. And it's only, because I have hope that FO is not dead yet.
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)