When can we expect progress?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Rockstone
Space Squid

When can we expect progress?

#1 Post by Rockstone »

0.4 is our next make or break point as was said before. Well, I think we are broken. Look, no progress in 6 months, and no combat development since 0.3 was released. An update would be nice, I don't want to see this game die. :(
tzlaine wrote:It has been over a year since v0.2 came out, and though Geoff has been invaluable in helping find all the bugs before v0.3 came out, Geoff plus 100 of his closest friends would be even better. Moving forward, we're going to try to make releases a lot more frequent. We'll be releasing -RCx release candidate builds monthly, and possibly more frequently when stability fixes are made. We'll also be releasing non-RC, numbered builds more frequently. For instance, using the previous release as an example, we would have released 0.2x when research was implemented, and 0.2(x+1) when production was implemented. Hopefully, this will allow the smoother reporting of bugs, and will appeal more to the community, who currently labors in the dark for long periods of time.
Note, the last release was six months ago, not a month ago!
Master of orion 3 rules. (a pause) Why are you guys getting tomatoes out?

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#2 Post by Zanzibar »

NOTE: version 0.2 was released about a year before version 0.3... :roll:

This is being done by PURE volunteers. No one is getting paid to do it. This is not some big time game company with a million dollar budget. The volunteers have REAL lives, and have to earn REAL livings, and such. Now, if they were getting PAID for it, then progress would be quicker. I am honestly amazed that this game has gotten this far. This shows real dedication to a project that isn't even going to make any money. Show some respect, eh??

MikkoM
Space Dragon

Re: When can we expect progress?

#3 Post by MikkoM »

Rockstone wrote:0.4 is our next make or break point as was said before. Well, I think we are broken. Look, no progress in 6 months, and no combat development since 0.3 was released. An update would be nice, I don't want to see this game die. :(

Have you noticed that recently there have been many design discussions on the game design section of this forum, and as a result of those discussions updates have been made to the 0.4 design pad:

http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/0.4_Design_Pad

It is also said in the programming work page that tzlaine is making the necessary preparations for the 0.4 3D combat engine, so some progress is probably being made in the programming part of the project as well.

I am also thinking that maybe we can lure some interested new programmers in, at least to do some minor things, when/if the 0.4 programming work opens up. Although I don`t think my previous advertisement campaign on some Finnish sites produced many new active members.

And what comes to the monthly releases, I think the most important thing is to keep the programmers and other people who have the necessary skills to really forward the project interested. Now I see no need to make monthly releases if it puts too much pressure on the development team, since like Zanzibar said no one is getting paid for doing this and so it is only the motivation of the participants that keeps this project alive.

I must also confess that when I first came here, a little over a year ago, I made fancy calculations and believed that by this time, based on the previous progress, we would be at least designing version 0.5. Now as we can clearly see that didn’t happen. However recently Freeorion has been in its most active stage, since I arrived to this forum, and at least I am quite excited about that.
Last edited by MikkoM on Sat May 26, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skaro
Pupating Mass

#4 Post by Skaro »

Everybody works in their own free time for projects like these.

And the following rule applies to all these projects:

It's ready when it's ready.
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down. --Murphy's war laws

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: When can we expect progress?

#5 Post by eleazar »

Rockstone wrote:0.4 is our next make or break point as was said before. Well, I think we are broken. Look, no progress in 6 months, and no combat development since 0.3 was released. An update would be nice, I don't want to see this game die. :(
tzlaine wrote:It has been over a year since v0.2 came out, and though Geoff has been invaluable in helping find all the bugs before v0.3 came out, Geoff plus 100 of his closest friends would be even better. Moving forward, we're going to try to make releases a lot more frequent. We'll be releasing -RCx release candidate builds monthly, and possibly more frequently when stability fixes are made. We'll also be releasing non-RC, numbered builds more frequently. For instance, using the previous release as an example, we would have released 0.2x when research was implemented, and 0.2(x+1) when production was implemented. Hopefully, this will allow the smoother reporting of bugs, and will appeal more to the community, who currently labors in the dark for long periods of time.
:? No, there have been 5 releases since December '06.
See the wiki news page.

There's not as much progress as i would like, but FO is certainly not dead. The trunk is usually updated several times a week. See the changelog (note: you may have to hit "reload" a few times for this page to show up.)

Most recently Geoff has been laying the foundation so that Python AIs can be used, and art has by Silent One and myself has been added/updated, and as has been mentioned, the plan for combat is taking shape.

Coders and others are of course welcome to contribute. Faster progress would definitely be better. But declaring the project "broken" based on an obviously flawed and superficial examination does not help.

Rockstone
Space Squid

#6 Post by Rockstone »

um... Well, 5 releases since December 2005!

# FreeOrion 0.3.1-RC4 has been released. This is another bugfix and small UI improvements release. See this forum post (http://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22765#22765) for some additional information, or download from Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeorion/).
Geoff the Medio 03:48, 4 Mar 2006 (EST)
# FreeOrion 0.3.1-RC3 has been released. This is a bugfix and UI improvement release. See this forum post (http://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22328#22350) for some additional information, or download from Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeorion/).
Tyreth 18:56, 8 Feb 2006 (EST)
# FreeOrion 0.3.1-RC2 has been released. This is a bugfix and UI improvement release. See this forum post (http://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22328#22328) for some additional information, or download from Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeorion/).
Geoff the Medio 02:29, 6 Feb 2006 (EST)
# FreeOrion 0.3.1-RC1 has been released. This contains some bug fixes. Download from Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeorion/) and check the forums (viewtopic.php?t=1220)
Tyreth 00:14, 23 Dec 2005 (EST)
# FreeOrion 0.3 has been released! Download from Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeorion/) and read more in the forums (viewtopic.php?t=1220)
Tyreth 20:32, 18 Dec 2005 (EST)
Master of orion 3 rules. (a pause) Why are you guys getting tomatoes out?

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by eleazar »

Rockstone wrote:um... Well, 5 releases since December 2005!
My mistake with the dates, (i still subconsciously interpret '05 as last year sometimes) still there have been 4 in the last 6 months, since RC5 is available if not mentioned on the wiki-news yet.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by pd »

Rockstone: Stop wining, start helping. Anything else is a waste of (our) time.
It's not the first time, you are telling us, that the project is dead.

What makes you say 'we', btw?

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#9 Post by Zanzibar »

Code: Select all

+-----------+
|  Do NOT   |
| Feed the  |
|  Trolls!! |
+-----+-----+
      |
      |

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#10 Post by marhawkman »

Nah, feed them their words, or nuts, whichever is quicker.
Computer programming is fun.

loonycyborg
Compilation Expert

#11 Post by loonycyborg »

Zanzibar wrote:

Code: Select all

+-----------+
|  Do NOT   |
| Feed the  |
|  Trolls!! |
+-----+-----+
      |