Sorry, but...

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

jesse
Space Krill

Sorry, but...

#1 Post by jesse »

I've got to be honest. I found this site because I've been playing MOO (the original) for the last month or so and really enjoying it, and I wondered if anyone had picked up the ball. I did some googling and found you guys. This thing you did is impressive, I must say, and I'm grateful for the help I got getting it working. I just didn't find it any fun. Mostly it was too complicated for me. I'm not saying this to hurt anyone's feelings or offend. As I said, it's a pretty darn impressive accomplishment.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Sorry, but...

#2 Post by pd »

jesse wrote:I just didn't find it any fun.
Of course you didn't. I wouldn't even call freeOrion a game yet. It's not supposed to be played at this stage of the development.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#3 Post by Zanzibar »

If you want to play a very fun, FINISHED game, I highly recommend Sword of the Stars, and it's expansion, Born of Blood.

jesse
Space Krill

#4 Post by jesse »

To the spammer: thanks for the tip, but I'm on a Mac. If you want to support a cool, FINISHED platform, try Leopard. ;)

To the real responder: I understand that it's not finished, and I'll grant that it might be something I'll enjoy eventually, but for what it's worth at this stage, it doesn't seem to be going a direction I'd like. I went looking on the web because I was enjoying playing the original MOO. I somewhat enjoyed MOO II, but playing the original made me realize how far MOO II strayed from the pure fun of the first one. When I saw that FreeOrion was inspired partly by MOO II, I hoped that it was keeping some of the cool parts of MOO II but going backwards a little bit to recapture some of the simple fun of MOO. Instead, it seems to be going the opposite direction--more complexity than I'd like. It's certainly a good way to go for many, it's really just a matter of taste.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#5 Post by Zanzibar »

Eh?? I'm a spammer? *confused* Anyways, my suggestion still holds. Sword of the Stars. It's like a modern Master of Orion 1. Maybe if enough Mac users showed interest in the game on the developer's boards, they would release a mac version??

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

You do push that game alot. That is spamming/selling that game. Lol, but there are few good 4X games.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#7 Post by Zanzibar »

I push it because it's so damn good compared to the other stuff out there... ;)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by utilae »

Good on ya then.

I'll push Guild Wars.

Guild Wars FTW lol!