Welcome back

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Welcome back

#1 Post by Tyreth »

Hello everyone, this is our new home for now. Many of you are probably wondering what has happened to our old forums. The truth is we don't know. I've tried contacting the host but have not received a reply yet. We are hoping that the data has not been lost, but given all options we must prepare for the worst.

As far as programming goes, this won't hinder us much. But there are many more assets which have been lost. There's the history of discussions and how we arrived at certain decisions. Details of game design. Story and race contributions, post counts (Nightfish in the lead). All in all, losing that won't be pleasant.

However, we will move on regardless. Backups are a very important process. Unfortunately due to the nature of the hosting arrangements on the old forums backups were not possible, at least not for us to perform directly. So we can only hope that the host has done it. Rest assured that in the future we will be making regular backups to ensure that our work is not lost again.

Don't get too discouraged, and lets get back to the work at hand :)
Last edited by Tyreth on Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by drek »

Thanks tyreth and (I assume) Burndaddy for getting some forums up.

Hopefully we can recover the old forums, but if not, I've always liked the way a blank page looks--endless possibilities, etc etc.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#3 Post by drek »

I was thinking about the sourceforge thing myself. But those forums are often very sloooow. Maybe mutliple people can make and keep offline mirrors of the forums?

OceanMachine
Pupating Mass

Re: Fear Not!

#4 Post by OceanMachine »

PowerCrazy wrote:Fear not, for I remember what was said. We agreed sliders were going to be the SOP. :D
lol.. You can find a few snapshots of different boards in the google cache, but I'm not having much luck retrieving any posts.. Maybe someone with more googling skill would have better luck.

krum
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by krum »

Damn, I hope the old forums were backed up...

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by tzlaine »

drek wrote:I was thinking about the sourceforge thing myself. But those forums are often very sloooow. Maybe mutliple people can make and keep offline mirrors of the forums?
You don't have to use the built-in forums on Sourceforge; I've set up a forum similar to this one in preparation for GG's migration to its own project site. I could set one up for FreeOrion today, if I had Admin access to our project.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by Tyreth »

tzlaine wrote:
drek wrote:I was thinking about the sourceforge thing myself. But those forums are often very sloooow. Maybe mutliple people can make and keep offline mirrors of the forums?
You don't have to use the built-in forums on Sourceforge; I've set up a forum similar to this one in preparation for GG's migration to its own project site. I could set one up for FreeOrion today, if I had Admin access to our project.
I'm happy to leave it where it is for now. In the admin area there is a backup database option which I plan to use regularly. Meaning if burndaddy ever goes crazy or some other poblem then at least we'll have the data.

The other advantage is that eventually we can point freeorion.org to one of his servers, and have the forums located at http://forums.freeorion.org.

Also, feels a lot faster here :) But I don't know how fast sourceforge will be in comparison.
Last edited by Tyreth on Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tzlaine

#8 Post by tzlaine »

Ok; sounds fine to me.

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#9 Post by Nightfish »

Admit it, this is just some elaborate scheme to rid me of my ~650 posts, right? :wink:

tzlaine

#10 Post by tzlaine »

Nightfish wrote:Admit it, this is just some elaborate scheme to rid me of my ~650 posts, right? :wink:
What posts? Who are you?

burndaddy
Krill Swarm

mmm backups...

#11 Post by burndaddy »

hopefully there is a dump of the sql tables from the old board somewhere... i'm gonna cry if all those tables just got dropped!

but yeah, on this forum, let's do weekly backups or something *heh*

and you don't have to worry about me going crazy -- and if I need to take these forums down, I'll give ample notice, cross my heart

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#12 Post by Nightfish »

tzlaine wrote: Who are you?
According to my title, I'm a dual classed FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster... That probably means I'm at least half-elven, too, if I know the d&d rules :)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by utilae »

Oh well, lot of good posts potentially lost.

But it is good to be back, I miss my Avatar though.

Mateo1041
Space Krill

#14 Post by Mateo1041 »

Please remember to back things up in the future. :-( It's especially important with something like this.

But nice job in getting things working again.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

FYI

#15 Post by Aquitaine »

We did not have access to back anything up on the old site, or else we would have. We have it here, which is why we're keeping this system even if we get the old ones back (after transferring stuff).
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!