FO Release Candidates

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

FO Release Candidates

#1 Post by Moriarty »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but aren't release candidates (RC's) only supposed to be for bug-fixing purposes? Wikipedia seems to agree with me ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_ca ... _candidate )
FO seems to be using them in place of upping the decimal, i.e. 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 etc. (or 3.1.1 3.1.2).
It's a bit deceptive and makes it seem like less progress is being made than actually is unless the person actually reads the release notes.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: FO Release Candidates

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Yes, the naming convention of the last few releases makes no sense, and has been bothering me for years. They aren't "release candidates", but we somehow got into the habit of labelling the revisions of v0.3.1 "RC" and have stuck with it, mainly because tzlaine didn't want to change numbering schemes before we started doing v0.4 stuff. v0.3 stuff is pretty much done though, so the next release might get bumped to v0.3.5 or so... Or perhaps v0.3.8 if we pretend the "RC" wasn't there. It won't likely go to v0.4 until all the basic v0.4 stuff is implemented, though.