New Blood, Hi everyone.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

TerranStarCommand
Krill Swarm

New Blood, Hi everyone.

#1 Post by TerranStarCommand »

Not sure where to put this, so I threw it here... apologies if this isn't the correct forum.

I heard about this project from a Reddit thread and decided to stop by and contribute. I'm a game designer by trade, and MOOII is my favorite strategy game of all time... I still play it on occasion. I'm downloading the latest build and I'm going to start reviewing all the design docs this weekend, so hopefully I can get up to speed quickly and start providing meaningful feedback.

A little about me - I live in Los Angeles, CA and I'm currently a designer for a kids MMO. Previously I worked on Silent Hill V as a level designer/scripter, and also on the Golden Compass game as a gameplay programmer/level designer/scripter. I authored some Warcraft III maps back when it first launched, and a few Descent Freespace missions that might have made it to the internet ("The Ghost Freighter"). I also participated on the official quicksilver MOO3 discussion boards and helped (I like to think) that design process as best I could even though the end result was ... less than optimal. My favorite pen-and-paper RPG is "Paranoia", and I'm currently playing through Fallout 3. I ran an endgame WOW raiding guild for a few years, but quit after the Burning Crusade launched.

Nice to meet you all... see you on the forums.
"I was boarded by Reavers and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: New Blood, Hi everyone.

#2 Post by pd »

Welcome and thanks for introducing yourself. Have fun browsing the wiki and the forums. If there are any questions, don't hesitate to start a thread about it. You might want to check out a fairly recent interview with Zach on spacesector, because it gives an excellent overview on the state and direction of the project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#3 Post by The Silent One »

Hi and welcome!
Great to have you with us, we can certainly use someone with your capabilities. All the essential basics are (almost) in place, what we need to do now is to make the game fun!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Thiosk
Space Krill

#4 Post by Thiosk »

Hi, I'll introduce myself too. My bio sounds similar to TerranStar, sans the computer programming experience. I'm a chemist by trade, research scientist. Two of my favorite computer gaming packages were delivered in the form of MOO and MOO2.

The last thing I want to do is jump onto a maturing project here and make a bunch of 'you should do it liek this' suggestions; I have plenty of ideas about what I think makes a great space 4x game, but from what I've seen so far what you are doing seems lovely. However, I may be able to help with technology tree design, fleshing out technology descriptions, providing suggestions regarding the design of the research subgame... those areas are right up my alley.

Whether anyone needs my non-coding abilities or not, I'll hang around and cheer-- I love the genera, and the recent entries to the field have just not 'done it.' So heres to hoping that freeO will help all of us 4x fanatics scratch that itch we all have!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Thiosk wrote:...I may be able to help with technology tree design, fleshing out technology descriptions, providing suggestions regarding the design of the research subgame... those areas are right up my alley.
Feel free to make a brainstorming thread or jump into one of the recent content creation threads about the tech tree.