New Commom Licence Version 2.0 !

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Xardas
Space Kraken

New Commom Licence Version 2.0 !

#1 Post by Xardas »

The website of the Common Licence has releases a new version fo its licence:
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4216

Someone should check if it still fits with the project and we should discuss if we upgrade on this version (maybe that is more what Yoghurt expected to be "free").
However, even when it is not from interested, we should mention the version of the Licence, the project go with , otherwise there is may confusion, which version is used for freeorion.

Yoghurt
Programmer

Re: New Commom Licence Version 2.0 !

#2 Post by Yoghurt »

Xardas wrote:Someone should check if it still fits with the project and we should discuss if we upgrade on this version (maybe that is more what Yoghurt expected to be "free").
Just FYI, I consider this licence (more or less) free, it's Debian that does not. (And the part about the possible trademark infrigement is very hypothetical)

Unfortunately, the new licence still contains the clause:
If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Derivative Work any reference to such Licensor or the Original Author, as requested.
which restricts modification.

So the new licence would not "help" here, but nonetheless, I see no reason to not adopt the new, more clarified licence.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#3 Post by Yoghurt »

Here is a review of the CC Licenses, as seen by the debian-legal team.

Please note that I like what Creative Commons are trying to do, and I like the licenses, and that I could live with the fact that I couldn't create an "official" Debian Package; but I still suggest that the artists at least consider licensing their Work under the GPL. This would also make a note of the type "files in directory foo are subject to License A, files in bar to license B" superfluous.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/20 ... 01193.html

HTML-Version:
http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.html

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by PowerCrazy »

ugh... I hate IP laws in their current incarnation. (Maybe thats why I'm going to Law school).

The way our game is set up if the owners of MoO throw a fit I think we can just change the name and be done with it. Beacuase really other than the abstract "feel" of MoO and the initial inspiration, its not MoO in anyway.
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

And if they did throw a fit and get legal, it might have an effect like FOX News sueing Al Franken...

(A good thing, if properly timed)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#6 Post by Aquitaine »

Al Franken had a publisher with money and lawyers.

PC, hope you don't mind some pro bono work. :)
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by PowerCrazy »

No problem, anything to help FO. A scenario like Fox News sueing Al Franken would be a blessing for my budding career.
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

Yoghurt
Programmer

#8 Post by Yoghurt »

Just for the record: I'm fine with the CC-by licenses, if Debian says they're non-free, it's their problem.