Civilization 4

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Civilization 4

#1 Post by Tyreth »

There's a story on slashdot about information on Civilization IV:
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 06&tid=210

The comments from the story submitter remind me of some of our discussions for FreeOrion, primarily on morale and rioting:
Drop unfun legacy (pollution, rioting, maintenance, corruption/waste

drek
Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by drek »

Seems like most people were complaining about firaxis dropping those elements. I wonder what limiting factors will be replacing the dropped ones.

most intresting new aspects to me:
1) Mod Making features:

Fan content: we are keeping all game data in xml which will ensure that almost nothing will be hard-coded. Further, we are integrating Python into the code-base so that the more algorithmic parts of the game (map generation, combat, triggers/events, AI, etc.) can be scripted by the modding community.

2) Built-from-the-Ground Multiplayer:

Multiplayer: we have a working mp system already and have been playing 4+ hour games after work
Sounds like the mod community will be able to make our own updated versions of SMaC and MoM with the Civ4 engine.

Or maybe even an updated moo, dependant upon how much depth there is to the scripting. :P

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by Tyreth »

Feels like they've been reading our forums, all this gives me a sense of deja vu.

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by PowerCrazy »

Its begun, we have started a revolution. Unfortunetly our names will not be recorded in the annals of time. (But perhaps our game will be...)
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

Xardas
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Xardas »

That sounds good after the dissappointment about civ3 and the conflicts of the fan translation there.
however I hope diplomacy will be similiar like smac or even better.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#6 Post by Yoghurt »

drek wrote:
1) Mod Making features:

Fan content: we are keeping all game data in xml which will ensure that almost nothing will be hard-coded. Further, we are integrating Python into the code-base so that the more algorithmic parts of the game (map generation, combat, triggers/events, AI, etc.) can be scripted by the modding community.

2) Built-from-the-Ground Multiplayer:
:) At first I though this referred to FO...