Quick play guide

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

khearn
Space Krill

Re: Quick play guide

#46 Post by khearn »

If you right-click on the picture of the species next to the populoation number of a planet, you'll get an option to bring up the pedia entry for the species. Once you find it, it's really useful.

When in doubt, try right-clicking on stuff. I was wondering what exactly the various cloud-like things drifting across the map were until I happened to right-click on one and discovered the pedia links for them.

godel
Space Dragon

#47 Post by godel »

What I need in addition to the one posted on line is one concerning the controls.
I have found that I can only learn these by trial and error.
Please explain to beginners:
I now know what a circle in the upper right of a box means, I understand the way to pump out many of the same order in the manufacturing.
But I have no good knowledge of how to get the saved ship designs all at once to be current.

There is nothing about the ship design panel at all at
http://freeorion.org/index.php/V0.4_Qui ... uide#Ships

tabbydan
Space Floater

#48 Post by tabbydan »

So the quick play guide and built in pedia are a nice start.
However, as a new player I'm still (even with them) left in the dark about a lot of things:

1) How does ship range work in FreeOrion? In the original range worked in an interesting but unrealistic way. If you had a range of X it didn't mean you could fly X/2 out and then had to come right back, instead it was as if your ship was powered by laser beams with an effective range of X, so you could go X distance away from your worlds and fly out indefinitely without running out of fuel. The only way ships could get cut off was if they were X away from an ally (but further from you) and they broke the alliance.

2) I encountered a special but have no idea how to activate it. It was a derelict ship (a tanker). The "pedia" said "who knows what secrets can be unlocked by it". Well, good point because there are no pointers on how I can do anything with it. My scout automatically "refueled" from it and is that the limit of it? I figured maybe I need to bring it back to my home world but as I can't seem to access it as part of the fleet I don't see how to do that.

I'm not sure how playable this pre 1.0 version is intended to be. Maybe, since the version number is <1 it implies things aren't yet smooth

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#49 Post by defaultuser »

The tanker is not something you can interact with. It's a one and done refueling of any ships that get there on that first encounter. Similar to the "derelict scout" that gives you mapping information.

tabbydan
Space Floater

#50 Post by tabbydan »

Ok, I guess I encountered both a tanker and a scout that were derelict. The 'pedia' entry should probably have specific info (tanker refuels your ship; scout gives map info) as it is confusing otherwise.

I still don't understand how range and supply work. I build a ship (a colony ship) and find it has zero fuel and I'm not even sure how to fuel it.

Likewise, I see monsters, one is outside a system and the system says it is one turn away from it. So I moved a battle fleet to that system but the monster stubbornly remains just outside the system (one turn away for several turns). I don't see a way to force the engagement (attack it where it is on the starlane)

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#51 Post by defaultuser »

It shouldn't have 0 fuel when built. Fuel for the most part is drawn from the supply, the colored lines connecting systems. If off the lines, then it will use stored fuel. Ships stuck out off the lines can resupply at 1/10 per turn.

fuel.jpg
fuel.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
The part I circled of this ship is the current fuel and represents how many jumps the ship can make off the supply lines. So this one could go to a destination that's two away.

tabbydan
Space Floater

#52 Post by tabbydan »

defaultuser wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:04 am It shouldn't have 0 fuel when built. Fuel for the most part is drawn from the supply, the colored lines connecting systems. If off the lines, then it will use stored fuel. Ships stuck out off the lines can resupply at 1/10 per turn.

fuel.jpg
The part I circled of this ship is the current fuel and represents how many jumps the ship can make off the supply lines. So this one could go to a destination that's two away.
My mistake, I built a colony base rather than a colony ship

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#53 Post by defaultuser »

tabbydan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:22 pm My mistake, I built a colony base rather than a colony ship
Yeah, that happens.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#54 Post by wobbly »

The immobile monster has stealth higher then your detection strength. You saw it through a derelict scout and are seeing the ghost image of its last position.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#55 Post by Oberlus »

It's time to update this guide to 0.4.10 (it mentions stuff removed from game long ago, like resource Trade) and create a new one for 0.5 with new sections explaining Influence and Policies.