Quick play guide

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Zireael
Space Dragon

Re: Quick play guide

#16 Post by Zireael »

Updated the quick play guide. The exact revision numbers for some changes might be off, though, with everything that's been changed lately.

I covered the growth focus, mentioned no health bar, removal of food and the outpost ships being available at game start. And I added known victory conditions and a note on current AI behavior.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#17 Post by Zireael »

Do we have a pic of the new passive/aggressive switches? I could add a mention about them...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:Do we have a pic of the new passive/aggressive switches? I could add a mention about them...
Here's a screenshot of the fleets window...
http://freeorion.org/index.php/File:Fre ... v0.4.1.png
And here's a screenshot of the Empires list, in which the player has right-clicked on an empire to show the Declare War popup.
http://freeorion.org/index.php/File:Fre ... v0.4.1.png

8thTimeRegisterPage
Space Krill

#19 Post by 8thTimeRegisterPage »

This was NOT WORTH THE TIME, but...

The quick play is long and lengthy.

A quick 5minute Let's Play on youtube would be much better.

And This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3_RFsXeU8&feature=plcp) with no sound doesn't count.

I showed this game to a friend (avid gamer) and it was unplayable. I tried after all my Moo1&2 experience and didn't understand the build system. Such a shame considering the solid programming. Its almost as if there is no feedback ... BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO REGISTER ON FORUMS TO GIVE IT.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by eleazar »

If you are having trouble registering, please explain your problems, and maybe something can be fixed. As far as i know, they are very rare

8thTimeRegisterPage wrote:Its almost as if there is no feedback ... BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO REGISTER ON FORUMS TO GIVE IT.
If that little effort for the cause of spam prevention is too much, it is unlikely that the theoretical provider of feedback would spend enough time on the feedback to communicate anything helpful.

We also have a twitter account "FreeOrion" if that's your preference.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#21 Post by Zireael »

Updated the quick play guide for 0.4.1, cleaning it up and removing references to revisions.

Some notes:
1) we need a new resource screen, as the one in the guide is veeery outdated (two focuses, five resources).
2) "If a project on the queue is selected, a "Center on Build" button may be clicked above the image of the item. This button actually does nothing in v0.4.1, however the galaxy map will have been centred on the relevant system when the project on the queue was clicked.

When a project on the queue is selected, the name of the planet where it is being built is shown below the image for the project in the production details box. Also, for projects to build ships or defense bases, a number box labelled "Quantity" becomes enabled, located at the bottom left of the production detail box. This number box allows you to enqueue multiple copies of a ship or defense base in one project. How these multiple copies are produced is perhaps a bit unintuitive: after each copy is produced, the next will be started. To build multiple copies of a ship or defense base simultaneously, you need to enqueue multiple projects of that item. This behaviour may change in later versions. "

I don't see a center on build not a quantity box in-game.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#22 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:1) we need a new resource screen, as the one in the guide is veeery outdated (two focuses, five resources).
Done: http://freeorion.org/index.php/File:Resource_Panel.png
2) "If a project on the queue is selected, a "Center on Build" button may be clicked above the image of the item. This button actually does nothing in v0.4.1, however the galaxy map will have been centred on the relevant system when the project on the queue was clicked.

When a project on the queue is selected, the name of the planet where it is being built is shown below the image for the project in the production details box. Also, for projects to build ships or defense bases, a number box labelled "Quantity" becomes enabled, located at the bottom left of the production detail box. This number box allows you to enqueue multiple copies of a ship or defense base in one project. How these multiple copies are produced is perhaps a bit unintuitive: after each copy is produced, the next will be started. To build multiple copies of a ship or defense base simultaneously, you need to enqueue multiple projects of that item. This behaviour may change in later versions. "

I don't see a center on build not a quantity box in-game.
So then remove the references to those widgets.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#23 Post by Zireael »

I think I need a new galaxy setup pic, as we've introduced the Aggression setting...

Anything else that needs to be added to bring the guide up-to-date?

ogre
Space Squid

#24 Post by ogre »

from the guide...
It's important to realize that changing a planet's focus doesn't immediately set the resources it is producing to correspond to the new focus. Resource production is determined by a planet's current meter values, while changing focus affects the planet's max meter values. It takes time for a planet to reconfigure its infrastructure to produce new resources whenever a focus change is made, which is represented by the growth of the current meter values over time.
^^^ that's the only reference to 'infrastructure' in the entire qpg.

WHAT is infrastructure? eg... HOW does it affect industry/research?
i see /basic shipyard/ and /orbital drydock/ both --20 to infrastructure.
how does infrastructure fit into the industry/research algo?
thanks for a great game. :)

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

ogre
Space Squid

#25 Post by ogre »

ogre wrote:from the guide...
It's important to realize that changing a planet's focus doesn't immediately set the resources it is producing to correspond to the new focus. Resource production is determined by a planet's current meter values, while changing focus affects the planet's max meter values. It takes time for a planet to reconfigure its infrastructure to produce new resources whenever a focus change is made, which is represented by the growth of the current meter values over time.
^^^ that's the only reference to 'infrastructure' in the entire qpg.

WHAT is infrastructure? eg... HOW does it affect industry/research?
i see /basic shipyard/ and /orbital drydock/ both --20 to infrastructure.
how does infrastructure fit into the industry/research algo?
AND all things considered, in a larger empire - would i have create more industry/research if i did not build these on EVERY colony? || kept them on front+line colonies only? [extreme strategies aside]
thanks for a great game. :)

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#26 Post by Dilvish »

infrastructure no longer contributes to production (neither Industry nor Research). It does currently affect the regen rate of certain planetary defense systems (look at Defense Techs in the Research Window for more info).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#27 Post by Bigjoe5 »

The infrastructure the quick-play guide is talking about is just some abstract infrastructure, and isn't referring to the actual infrastructure meter in the game. The guide should probably have a quick note on the actual infrastructure meter, if only to say it's effectively useless at the moment.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#28 Post by Dilvish »

Bigjoe5 wrote:The guide should probably have a quick note on the actual infrastructure meter, if only to say it's effectively useless at the moment.
Short note sounds fine, but it should mention the effect on certain defense regens -- I consider that far from useless.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#29 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Dilvish wrote:
Bigjoe5 wrote:The guide should probably have a quick note on the actual infrastructure meter, if only to say it's effectively useless at the moment.
Short note sounds fine, but it should mention the effect on certain defense regens -- I consider that far from useless.
Ah yes, I forgot about that.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#30 Post by qsswin »

Isn't the fact that some buildings can't be built if the infrastructure is too low (and reduce the infrastructure) also important?