I don't know what I am doing; but, FreeOrion 4.8 compiled in my Linux Mint 19 system!

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

DukeCunning
Space Krill

I don't know what I am doing; but, FreeOrion 4.8 compiled in my Linux Mint 19 system!

#1 Post by DukeCunning »

I don't know what I am doing (having been away from computing for several years); but, FreeOrion 4.8 compiled in my Linux Mint 19 system!

I am totally shocked. I followed the directions at url : https://freeorion.org/index.php/Compile_In_Linux
and it worked. Mint software installer has FreeOrion 4.7 and I have been playing around with that. But, it kept nagging on my mind that 4.8 was available and there were instructions on how to compile it so I kept thinking about it. And, finally decided to give it a go and was shocked that it succeeded. To be honest, I have tried to compile it before and was given some complaint about not having the correct Boost version. But, I tried it again with the latest boost version (1.65.1) at least that is the one on my system. (OK. Never mind. 1.68 is the latest version. I must have forgotten changing (downgrading) the version.) Anyway, I am TOTALLY blown away (and surprised) that it compiled.

So, far I am noticing better graphics and fonts, etc. It is freakin' COOL!

Can't wait to play it having been a fan of MOO 1,2,3 . Thanks to you guys for not giving up on this game. I have noticed this development for a couple of (decades?) LOL. THANKS AGAIN.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: I don't know what I am doing; but, FreeOrion 4.8 compiled in my Linux Mint 19 system!

#2 Post by Dilvish »

DukeCunning wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:55 pmLOL. THANKS AGAIN.
You are very welcome, and thanks for the words of appreciation. We look forward to hearing your playtesting feedback.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0