Installation on Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal 64bit

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

shadowwraith
Space Floater

Re: Installation on Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal 64bit

#31 Post by shadowwraith »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Starting a zero AI game would also be a good idea since the server would probably have the same problems starting AIs as does the client with hthe server.
Geoff i could kiss you, your idea worked the game launched nearly perfectly

still no sound though but also no AI which means your playing in a sort of sandbox mode

shadowwraith
Space Floater

#32 Post by shadowwraith »

ok i seem to have hit a brick wall again, i tried to run the game again with the same commands and with no AI

and i still get this

it was working before, further attempts to restart have resulted in the same error
tried in windowed mode and fullscreen, but to no avail :?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#33 Post by Dilvish »

please attach freeorion.log and freeoriond.log. It might be helpful to first go into options->UI and select verbose logging, then exit and restart and try to launch a game, and attach the two logs from that attempt.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

shadowwraith
Space Floater

#34 Post by shadowwraith »

Dilvish wrote:please attach freeorion.log and freeoriond.log. It might be helpful to first go into options->UI and select verbose logging, then exit and restart and try to launch a game, and attach the two logs from that attempt.
Okay i've included

freeorion.log

and also the freeoriond.log but that only seemed to log the only successful launch earlier, further launches have not been logged in freeoriond.log regardless of verbose settings.

My appologies for the constant posts, my previous experience of playing Freeorion was many years ago when it was a debian package install (which i thoroughly enjoyed) and was not expecting this. I mean no disrespect to to any of the FO team, its just a little frustrating :?
Attachments
freeoriond.log
Freeoriond Game log from successful launch, further launches have not been logged
(19.99 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
freeorion.log
Freeorion Game Log
(12.31 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Dilvish

#35 Post by Dilvish »

Well, once we get you up and running I'm sure you'll enjoy this a lot more than the old one. As for the log files, it is very strange that the server one would not be updating. Is that log perhaps from when you were letting the server start up the normal way, automatically from freeorion, as opposed to starting it separately in the background? Perhaps with the launch of server in background there got to be an extra copy of the server running & mucking things up. Whenever I get any hangs I clear the processes by executing

Code: Select all

pkill freeorionca; pkill freeoriond; pkill freeorion
I recommend doing that & then trying again.

I also took a look at those log files. One you've noticed before, the problem with sound, there were a couple errors related to that. Have you tried disabling all sound and music options?

I also noted a reference to not being able to find an empire with ID -1, which seemed unusual. It might just be an effect of shutting down in the middle of the turn, but I'll try to follow up on the error message later.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

shadowwraith
Space Floater

#36 Post by shadowwraith »

Thank you for your reply Delvish

I tried as you suggested and used the pkill freeorionca; pkill freeoriond; pkill freeorion commands

The i tried running

../cde-exec /usr/bin/freeorion.elf

and even

../cde-exec /usr/bin/freeorion.elf --force-external-server as Geoff suggested, both resulted in the following errors in the terminal
shadowwraith@Acer-Aspire-5552:~/games/freeorion-b/cde-root$ ../cde-exec /usr/bin/freeorion.elf --force-external-server
[ Process PID=5731 runs in 32 bit mode. ]
ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1616:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)
AL lib: (EE) alsa_open_playback: Could not open playback device 'default': Invalid argument
shadowwraith@Acer-Aspire-5552:~/games/freeorion-b/cde-root$ ../cde-exec /usr/bin/freeorion.elf
[ Process PID=5802 runs in 32 bit mode. ]
ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1616:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)
AL lib: (EE) alsa_open_playback: Could not open playback device 'default': Invalid argument
execv failed: Bad address
i also tried with the sound disabled, but to no avail

This line
execv failed: Bad address
seems to appear when i click on the single player button from the main menu.

In regards to the ClientNetworking::SetPlayerID: player id set to: -1, the game never gets beyond the galaxy setup stage. as soon as i click on start, there is ~10 sec freeze then the timeout message appears.

The line Unable to initialise OpenAL device:, openal is installed on my system by default, plus another game that i have (minetest) uses openAL, unless there is a clash with pulseaudio which is the default audio server used on Ubuntu (or Ubuntu studio in my case)

I have attached the freeorion.log, hope it helps.

P.S - sorry i tend to ramble a bit XD
Attachments
freeorion.log
Freeorion game log
(12.25 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#37 Post by AndrewW »

shadowwraith wrote:The line Unable to initialise OpenAL device:, openal is installed on my system by default, plus another game that i have (minetest) uses openAL, unless there is a clash with pulseaudio which is the default audio server used on Ubuntu (or Ubuntu studio in my case)
I've had it running fine here with Pulseaudio (though not specifically Ubuntu).

shadowwraith
Space Floater

#38 Post by shadowwraith »

Well i have a few bits of alsa installed on my system, but their currently not used by anything afik, i thought maybe a clash with pulse but with other games using openal with no problems a clash does seem unlikely, oh well it was worth a try XD

shadowwraith
Space Floater

#39 Post by shadowwraith »

Still no joy in getting the game to run, i don't know if trying the cmake route would get better results, but that would just be more hassle especially with the 1GB+ of libraries to download and install. i would really like to play this game, but atm it seems unlikely. :(

Dilvish

#40 Post by Dilvish »

I've read a little about making .deb packages, and one of these weeks will probably try taking it on, so check back periodically (and post an inquiry once in a while).

shadowwraith
Space Floater

#41 Post by shadowwraith »

Dilvish wrote:I've read a little about making .deb packages, and one of these weeks will probably try taking it on, so check back periodically (and post an inquiry once in a while).
Out or curiosity, why did the .deb packages stop, it seems that the last .deb version was ~3.15, which was on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#42 Post by Vezzra »

shadowwraith wrote:Out or curiosity, why did the .deb packages stop, it seems that the last .deb version was ~3.15, which was on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid.
I can't say for sure, that was before I joined the project, but I guess it was because the guy who made the deb packages dropped out, and there has been no one who was willing/able to take over...

shadowwraith
Space Floater

#43 Post by shadowwraith »

Well i've looked at the compile page for the cmake route, but considering my laptops specs i don't think it'll succeed.

My laptop is AMD Athlon X2 64bit, 2GB ram, according to the compile page 4GB ram and an i5 or equivilent is recommended (and that's just to build it!!), the cmake route will probably tie up my laptop for a considerable amount of time. ive already installed the dependencies via synaptic and downloaded the svn, but i'm dubious about the success of the compile :(

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#44 Post by Geoff the Medio »

shadowwraith wrote:My laptop is AMD Athlon X2 64bit, 2GB ram, according to the compile page 4GB ram and an i5 or equivilent is recommended (and that's just to build it!!)
I wouldn't be surprised if you run out of memory compiling the parsers. "Just to build it" isn't that meaningful though; it takes more memory to compile than it does to run FreeOrion with reasonable settings.

shadowwraith
Space Floater

#45 Post by shadowwraith »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
shadowwraith wrote:My laptop is AMD Athlon X2 64bit, 2GB ram, according to the compile page 4GB ram and an i5 or equivilent is recommended (and that's just to build it!!)
I wouldn't be surprised if you run out of memory compiling the parsers. "Just to build it" isn't that meaningful though; it takes more memory to compile than it does to run FreeOrion with reasonable settings.
well considering i'm getting no-where getting the self-contained version to run, i don't know what else to try other than maybe finding the last deb package (which was nearly 3yrs ago) and see if it will still run although knowing my luck probably not :(

Oh and i meant no offense by that previous post.