Desperate trying to build the project on Eclipse

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

Rydra
Space Squid

Desperate trying to build the project on Eclipse

#1 Post by Rydra »

Hi there,

I've been for about an entire afternoon and morning trying to compile and run freeorion on eclipse. In order to achieve it, I followed the instruction from adrian_broher at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7626 . Building the executable with those instructions seems fine (takes about 35 min).

But, I have no idea about how to proceed in order to execute it on eclipse (instructions from http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Compile_With_Eclipse don't work). When I try to run the executable the console shows nothing but a "terminated".

Any tips to go on?

Thank you.

Rydra
Space Squid

Re: Desperate trying to build the project on Eclipse

#2 Post by Rydra »

I've made some achievements. Now I made the console output some text (by inserting a cout with some text) yet the screen of the game doesn't shown. Weird enough, when I execute the Debug option instead of the Run, the screen of the game appears (yet it doesn't seem to stop at breakpoints I define).

Any thoughts?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Make sure the shared libraries and config files are at the places it's expecting?

Run from a preexisting console window to see if any error message are output (not from the GUI that might close the window before you can see them).

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Rydra wrote:I've made some achievements. Now I made the console output some text (by inserting a cout with some text) yet the screen of the game doesn't shown. Weird enough, when I execute the Debug option instead of the Run, the screen of the game appears (yet it doesn't seem to stop at breakpoints I define).

Any thoughts?
first thing that comes to mind is that you might want to edit your first post to change the thread title to something about "running/debugging in Eclipse" rather than "building on" eclipse, since it sounds like you got the build part working fine. You might also want to explain why you are even trying to run FO within Eclipse, since it sounds like debug mode is not actually your goal.

As far as the substantive issues go, what breakpoint location are you trying? Is it within the main FO client as opposed to the server? I also seem to recall some trouble a long while back in trying to get Eclipse breakpoints to work in non-Java code, but presumably it should be workable. As for the run/debug difference, have you checked settings to see what differences in thread / child-process handling they specify for the two modes?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Rydra
Space Squid

#5 Post by Rydra »

Well, I finally gave up Eclipse in favour of Kdevelop, which has worked straightforward with Cmake and I could perfectly debug without problems. Yet I have some questions about Kdevelop which I will ask in another thread.

Thank you everyone!