AI bug: Sly trying to colonize gas giants with exobots

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

zarquan
Space Floater

AI bug: Sly trying to colonize gas giants with exobots

#1 Post by zarquan »

I was about to invade my neighbors who so rudely attacked me when I saw a colony ship floating above a gas giant and not doing anything.

I bet this is linked to the issues I see with the AI spreading odd species all over the place. I see them putting Hhhoh on almost every world even though their species is better. They even put them on planets hostile to the Hhhoh when their primary species is good on that world.

Perhaps the AI should spread with outpost ships rather than colony ships as a rule, then decide what species to settle after they make the outpost.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: AI bug: Sly trying to colonize gas giants with exobots

#2 Post by defaultuser »

In general, probably, although Sly will normally do a lot more colony ships due to supply issues.

Just because an exobot colony ship is at a system doesn't mean the AI is trying to colonize it. AIs seem to lose track of ships if what they were doing got interrupted. The ship might be there because it's no longer in the decision tree or something else (I know 0 about the AI mechanism).

drkosy
Space Dragon

#3 Post by drkosy »

I see them putting Hhhoh on almost every world
It seems the AI works with points for species. Good / great / ultimate pilots probably have the most points of all: (default/python/AI/ColonisationAI.py)

Code: Select all

AVG_PILOT_RATING = 2.0
GOOD_PILOT_RATING = 4.0
GREAT_PILOT_RATING = 6.0
ULT_PILOT_RATING = 12.0

# minimum evaluation score that a planet must reach so it is considered for outposting or colonizing
MINIMUM_COLONY_SCORE = 60
That's why I once saw one AI settling every single planet with Missloria :roll:
On the one hand that is great because their ships becomes more dangerous, on the other hand they can't build a lot of ships due to lack on production. I guess it's hard to get an AI to just build 1 or 2 good / great / ultimate pilot planets and to build all ships there, as a human player would do.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

zarquan
Space Floater

#4 Post by zarquan »

defaultuser wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:30 am In general, probably, although Sly will normally do a lot more colony ships due to supply issues.

Just because an exobot colony ship is at a system doesn't mean the AI is trying to colonize it. AIs seem to lose track of ships if what they were doing got interrupted. The ship might be there because it's no longer in the decision tree or something else (I know 0 about the AI mechanism).
I would accept this, except that I destroyed their colony ship and left to see what would happen. They dispatched a new exobot colony ship to the same place. I think this is a bug, not an interrupted ship. My bet is that the AI sees a potential colony outside their supply, so they order their nearest ship yard to make a colony ship to rally there. Once it arrives, the AI doesn't know what to do with it due to the lack of a valid colonize option. This is just a guess, though.
Last edited by zarquan on Tue May 11, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zarquan
Space Floater

#5 Post by zarquan »

drkosy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:22 pm
I see them putting Hhhoh on almost every world
It seems the AI works with points for species. Good / great / ultimate pilots probably have the most points of all: (default/python/AI/ColonisationAI.py)

Code: Select all

AVG_PILOT_RATING = 2.0
GOOD_PILOT_RATING = 4.0
GREAT_PILOT_RATING = 6.0
ULT_PILOT_RATING = 12.0

# minimum evaluation score that a planet must reach so it is considered for outposting or colonizing
MINIMUM_COLONY_SCORE = 60
That's why I once saw one AI settling every single planet with Missloria :roll:
On the one hand that is great because their ships becomes more dangerous, on the other hand they can't build a lot of ships due to lack on production. I guess it's hard to get an AI to just build 1 or 2 good / great / ultimate pilot planets and to build all ships there, as a human player would do.
So that's probably why I see the computers putting Hhhoh everywhere, as they seem to be a super common species that are good pilots.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#6 Post by drkosy »

I'am not very deep into python so I don't know how to change things. Otherwise I could swap priorities and give productive species a higher priority.

Once I observed a real strange behavior: A Trith AI had an medium radiated planet (good environment) nearby. Instead of colonizing it, the go for a small barren planet in the same system and put exobots there. The radiated kept empty...
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod