New win 10, orion does not run

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: New win 10, orion does not run

#31 Post by Geoff the Medio »

godel wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:17 amI have upgraded my computer's memory, found 3 sticks from one manufacturer and one stick of another.
[...]
(I still think that if every other app can deal with my old wonkey memory, that free Orion should. But that oppertunity to fix and test is now gone. )
I'm not sure why people were suggesting replacing memory sticks... The problem appeared to be that your graphics drivers didn't support a high enough version of OpenGL (only 1.1), and that it was failing to allocate enough memory for a large texture.

The latest posted log shows OpenGL 2.1, though, and doesn't have the texture load issue, but appears to be from an attempt to run v0.4.6 over two years ago, so I suspect you've not uploaded the correct log file from your latest attempt.

Post an actual current log, and if it has the same issue as the first post of this thread, try with a smaller texture in place of the problematic one, as suggested for the very similar issue here: https://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtop ... 052#p93482

godel
Space Dragon

#32 Post by godel »

2 machines, 2 issues.
This is the first machine (win10), whose old log showed possible memory error. Fixed that.
The second machine (win 7)showed graphic driver issues.
I have reported the error to the correct forum topic.
The graphic driver issue was resolved. Thank you.

OK, just looked at crash log, dates are 2016, so you are correct.
I just tried to get FreeOrion to run, it failed, found a crash log in AppData, and used that.

So where is the recent crash log?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#33 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Log location hasn't changed as far as I know. Maybe delete the whole directory before trying again.

godel
Space Dragon

#34 Post by godel »

got the latest error report.
Attachments
freeorion.log
(6.06 KiB) Downloaded 169 times