Problem colonizing a toxic planet for Chato

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Starionx
Space Floater

Problem colonizing a toxic planet for Chato

#1 Post by Starionx »

I've just started a game playing Chato.
I've found a toxic planet (preferred planet type) with a computronium moon in a black hole system, and there is another planet with Kobuntura.
When I look at the planet suitability, it's Good (-23).
I thought this may be a visual bug, but when I colonized it, they instantly died.
All other toxic planets in the area show a '+' suitability.
Is there some issue with colonizing black hole systems that I don't know about?
Attachments
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (434.23 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Problem colonizing a toxic planet for Chato

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Starionx wrote:Is there some issue with colonizing black hole systems that I don't know about?
Yes, they are phototropic, and take a horrible hit under a black hole. Follow the phototropic link from the Chato Pedia Description (or else just go to Metabolisms).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Starionx
Space Floater

#3 Post by Starionx »

Hmmm... well there you go. It was my first time playing them. Lesson learnt. :)

mem359
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by mem359 »

Starionx wrote:When I look at the planet suitability, it's Good (-23).
The maximum population number is more important than if the planet is Good, Poor, or Hostile.

You'll want a green positive number for the colonizing species, instead of a red (negative) one.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Aye, Chato are an incredibly powerful race to play in some circumstances, their phototrophy means they can colonise many worlds earlier than other species, but they need that bright sun.

I keep looking at the idea of a tech or building that could make poor/no sun at least barely habitable for phototrophes (because, well, lightbulbs are a thing), but never get around to it, if anyone fancies it I'll give it a test when we do some work rewriting the growth techs.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.