Can't start new game with latest weekly build!

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

jsena
Space Floater

Re: Can't start new game with latest weekly build!

#16 Post by jsena »

I ran freeoriond from the command line after deleting the logs. Attached is the result.
freeoriond.log
(18.29 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#17 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Did it sit waiting for network connections, or crash back to the command line? If the latter, was there an error message?

jsena
Space Floater

#18 Post by jsena »

When I open it from the command line I get
/Games/FreeOrion.app/Contents/Executables/freeoriond ; exit;

when I open it from the console I get ... ? Some readable stuff in a sea of wtf. Here, I'll paste it into an rtf doc so you can see
opened with console.rtf
(4.88 MiB) Downloaded 203 times

Geoff the Medio

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What's the difference between "console" and "command line" ? Do you terminate the program manually or does it abort / exit on its own?

I have no idea what you posted in the .rtf file... If I run freeoriond from the windows command prompt, it just sits with the cursor blinking on the next (blank) line until it's terminated with ctrl-c, at which point it shows the next command prompt, or possibly a bunch of log messages that weren't yet written to disk, mostly related to parsing.

jsena
Space Floater

#20 Post by jsena »

Command line ("Terminal") is the command line from linux/windows. Console is generally a thing that you use to view log files. Frankly I wouldn't have tried opening freeoriond in console other than you asked... but I can understand the confusion. So I think it is safe to ignore that rtf file.

I didn't manually abort freeoriond from the command line.. it just sat there, neither exiting nor displaying anything further.

I didn't think to open another command line to ps -ef and see if it was still running. I will do that later when I am home from work.
Assuming it is still alive, I'll also try launching the FreeOrion package and setting up a game while freeoriond is still running in the command line. Not sure that will work (fun with Mac OS X packages) but worth a shot.

jsena
Space Floater

#21 Post by jsena »

If you launch freeoriond, then start the freeorion package and start a new game, it tells you the server it already running.

But... I figured it out! If you launch the freeorion package from the command line (FreeOrion.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeOrion), you see the actual problem when you launch start a new game:

main() caught exception(std::exception): boost::bad_any_cast: failed conversion using boost::any_cast
GUIController failed to setup or run the GUI.

jsena
Space Floater

#22 Post by jsena »

FYI, still having this same issue with June 11 build.

$ ./FreeOrion
main() caught exception(std::exception): boost::bad_any_cast: failed conversion using boost::any_cast
$

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by Oberlus »

jsena wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:54 pm FYI, still having this same issue with June 11 build.

$ ./FreeOrion
$
jsena, have you open an issue for this on github?

Geoff the Medio

#24 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I've added some extra logging and some error-safety to some code that might be relevant to the errors reported here. Hopefully will help or narrow down the problem with the next test build.

jsena
Space Floater

#25 Post by jsena »

I just posted a GitHub issue for this:
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2482