Game doesn´t start on old ASUS Eee PC

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

AK47
Space Krill

Game doesn´t start on old ASUS Eee PC

#1 Post by AK47 »

Hi, I´m new here, but I really would like to play this game.

I use an old ASUS EeePC Netbook (1005PE I guess), with an Intel Atom450 with MX Linux installed and I got the game via the Debian manager. So I got it installed, and I see the Icon to click it. But after a short increase in memory power, nothing happens. So I tried to start the game via console and this is what I got:

Code: Select all

$ freeorion
CWD: /usr/share/games/freeorion
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
Segmentation fault
I would be glad If you could help me, for this game really looks awesome and would perfectly fit my casual gaming needs.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Game doesn´t start on old ASUS Eee PC

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Please locate and post, possibly zipped if necessary or directly in the post text, freeorion.log from ~/.local/share/freeorion from immediately after failing to start the program.

Note that FreeOrion requires OpenGL 2.1, which is a likely cause of problems on old systems with low-power processors.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Although, judging by the error messages, it's not graphic related stuff that seems to be the issue here, but something that tries to connect to this ominous "jack server" (whatever that is), failing to succeed and then crashing with a segfault...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Then maybe it is related to this older error (not FreeOrion fault): viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11096&p=93821&hili ... ror#p93821

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Yep, that's very likely the same issue. @AK47, take a look at the linked thread (you'll find a link to yet another thread there, which you probably should follow too), maybe you find something that can help you.

AK47
Space Krill

#6 Post by AK47 »

Thanks for the quick replies! :D
So I noticed this
Well maybe I should have actually had a look at the Linux manual myself because this issue is actually somewhat referenced in the installation section. Well done me, doing it the hard way :)
Unfortunately I can´t find the readme Data for Linux.
I also couldn´t follow
I did was run 'qjackctl', under setup, settings, parameters, interface selected my audio device ('hw:Generic') because for some reason it wasn't selected by default. And under advanced, server prefix put 'pasuspsender --jackd'.
I already installed jackd.
Maybe you know where to find this readme manual for linux? Or does he mean the compiling manual. As a linux noob I never compiled anything, yet.
:oops:

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#7 Post by em3 »

Maybe here will be something useful to you:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/224151/ ... ctl/232163
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

@AK47, sorry, I'm out of my depth here...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I think that, like last time this was reported, the issue wasn't really related to the Jack Audio stuff. See starting here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10666#p89900

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#10 Post by AndrewW »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:07 pm I think that, like last time this was reported, the issue wasn't really related to the Jack Audio stuff. See starting here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10666#p89900
I remember that fun.

Teensy Juggernaut
Space Krill

#11 Post by Teensy Juggernaut »

Yep, nothing to do with jackd, it's most likely GL shader support. But also? RAM. He doesn't have any! A 1 Gig machine can run that mini-windows edition. It can also run a lightweight linux. But just that. Apps? Plural? No! An App. One. Just like, more than one Firefox tab? Are you crazy?! FreeOrion?! HA!!

OK AK, that's hyperbole except for the last part. It's not that bad, but 1G RAM in 2019 is just bonkers mate. Your phone has more.

I commend you for wanting to put that decade-old Pineview N450 to use, but come on. Be reasonable. :-) Being that the GMA is on-board and uses shared memory, and that you're running a userspace kernel on MX, likely systemd crap, hald, etc, and then running Xorg with (albeit lightweight) trimmings, gconf, XFCE window manager, some file manager I'm sure, various bits and resident apps and...

Even if you have the 2 Gig RAM version, it's highly unlikely you'll ever get it working, and if you do, it'll be a prove-a-point kind of thing, it'll never be fast enough to enjoy playing. And your swap will be 8+ Gigs, so just starting a new game could take 20 minutes, depending on how fast the SD card or HDD is. Assuming the OGL support is there. If you're linux savvy, I'd suggest starting compiling your own kernel, but no need to talk about it - if you're savvy you know this, and if not, it's not something to walk you through.

...yea. Those $300 netbook-type things were made for playing videos and skyping grandma and checking emails and syncing itunes and letting you order things off of websites, and that's basically it. Trying to convert them into general purpose computers is an exercise in heartache. Find another use for it. Since you're into gaming, there's a whole subreddit dedicated to putting old hardware to use, r/lowendgaming... maybe make it into a portable MAME arcade. It's not useless, it just doesn't fit this particular use.