first run error

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

n00b
Krill Swarm

first run error

#1 Post by n00b »

win10, fully updated.

after installing the current download of FO, I cannot run program as one gets a series of 4 pop up boxes saying msvcp140.dll and vcruntime140.dll missing
both are in system32

I run linux, but for reasons am using a windows machine temporarily.

I looked at the template

Code: Select all

If you write a bug report or ask for help, please provide the following details or answer the questions:

For [b][u]chrashes[/u][/b], provide the log files! They can be found in the same directory the config.xml is found in.
I can find no logs. i think crash happens before that is set up

Mention your operating system (OS), as exactly as possible (XP(32bit or 64bit?), Vista, Linux Distribution and version)
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
OS build 19042.1237
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Mention the version AND revision of FreeOrion you downloaded as exactly as possible. If the game starts, your revision can be seen in the lower right corner of the main screen.
FreeOrion_v0.4.10.2_2021-08-01.f663dad_Win32_Setup.exe

Is the problem repeatable? I.e. does it always crash under the same circumstances, or just sometimes? Describe those circumstances detailed.
uninstalled and reinstalled and same issue

Describe what went wrong and when. "It does not work" or "It crashes" is not very helpful and will probably get you equally vague and unhelpful advice.
I hope the description was helpfull

I also tried to install the VC2015 redistributable but that said a newer version was installed.

Which graphics card are you using and what version of drivers are installed.
I think intel, and also not relevant?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: first run error

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Does the v0.4.10.1 release work for you?

n00b
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by n00b »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:03 pm Does the v0.4.10.1 release work for you?
same error installing this https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeor ... e/download

Is there a different 10.1 I should try?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

As far as I know, it's the same as https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... /v0.4.10.1

If both 0.4.10.1 and 0.4.10.2 have the issue, then I think it's a problem with your system or perhaps something about how you're installing it. I don't recall anyone else reporting a similar issue.

Something is perhaps messed up with your system path environment variables, perhaps? You could try putting the files it's complaining about missing into the same directory as the .exe but I'm just semi-guessing about that...

n00b
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by n00b »

copying msvcp140.dll to the exe folder, from the system32, fixed the issue.

thanks Geoff!