Can't run snap in Ubuntu

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

lxl
Space Krill

Can't run snap in Ubuntu

#1 Post by lxl »

Hi,

Using:
  • Ubuntu 20.04.03 LTS,
  • AMD Radeon GPU: RX 6600 XT

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -c video
      *-display                 
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M]
           vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:0a:00.0
           version: c7
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
           resources: irq:52 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e0000000-e01fffff ioport:f000(size=256) memory:fcc00000-fccfffff memory:fcd00000-fcd1ffff

• FreeOrion snap:

$ snap list freeorion
    Name       Version    Rev  Tracking       Publisher  Notes
    freeorion  v0.4.10.2  231  0.4.10/stable  agrrr3     -
When running the non-snap version of freeorion (4.8), it works fine. When I run the snap version (above), I get the following error messages:

$ freeorion
/usr/share/libdrm/amdgpu.ids: No such file or directory
amdgpu: unknown (family_id, chip_external_rev): (143, 60)
libGL error: failed to create dri screen
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
The file amdgpu.ids does exist in that location.

When I run the above, an empty black window appears. On top of that, an additional window appears with the following wording:

The OpenGL version on this system is less than 2.0
FreeOrion may crash while starting.
...which is exactly what is happening.

I recognize that this is (perhaps) more of a problem with the snap packaging than with FreeOrion, but can someone point me in the right direction?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Can't run snap in Ubuntu

#2 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus is the one responsible for Snap packaging.

I uses Snap on Debian without problem, and also on OpenSuse. Didn't try on Ubuntu though.

It's been a while I haven't tried the stable channel; have you tried other channels ?

lxl
Space Krill

#3 Post by lxl »

I only recently started using Ubuntu, having used Debian since the late 90s. I never used snap packaging before so I am a newbie with it.

I used Ubuntu's "Ubuntu Software" to search for and install FreeOrion, which provides 3 options:
  1. the non-snap freeorion Ubuntu deb ( 4.8 ), which works fine;
  2. the freeorion-agrrr3 snap ( 4.8 ), which I seem to understand from this forum is mostly used for testing (despite being marked as a stable snap in Ubuntu Software but it is 4.8 ); and
  3. the freeorion snap ( 4. 10 ), which is the one I'm writing about and which is causing problems.
I should mention that for the 3rd one, above (ie the one I'm writing about and the one causing problems), I've also tried:
  • both of the ones listed as 0.4.10/stable;
  • latest/beta; and
  • latest/edge.
Both the latest/beta and latest/edge don't work, though the error messages are "only" the following:

$ freeorion
The little pop up window giving the OpenGL error is the same.

o01eg
Programmer

#4 Post by o01eg »

Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

lxl wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:09 pm I only recently started using Ubuntu, having used Debian since the late 90s. I never used snap packaging before so I am a newbie with it.

I used Ubuntu's "Ubuntu Software" to search for and install FreeOrion, which provides 3 options:
  1. the non-snap freeorion Ubuntu deb ( 4.8 ), which works fine;
  2. the freeorion-agrrr3 snap ( 4.8 ), which I seem to understand from this forum is mostly used for testing (despite being marked as a stable snap in Ubuntu Software but it is 4.8 ); and
  3. the freeorion snap ( 4. 10 ), which is the one I'm writing about and which is causing problems.
4.8 is a stable release, but very old one. 4.10 is also kind of old now, but the current stable release.

two questions about your system - what release of ubuntu are you actually using? and does another opengl game work on with snap on that machine? i had very recently had troubles running freeorion and other opengl games using snap on one laptop (probably because of the graphics chipset being not supported to well) - suddenly it started working (i guess somebody fixed driver support)

but i agree with o01eg, if you only want freeorion to work (and no other snap based games) you are probably better of trusting his ppa and install from there.

the third option would be installing freeorion 0.4.10 via flatpak (but there are no more recent builds available)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

lxl
Space Krill

#6 Post by lxl »

what release of ubuntu are you actually using?

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Release:	20.04
Codename:	focal
does another opengl game work on with snap on that machine?
I have tried some using non-snap (like the non-snap FreeOrion). Those work. I haven't tried a snap. Can you give me an example and I'll let you know whether it works or not?
but i agree with o01eg, if you only want freeorion to work (and no other snap based games) you are probably better of trusting his ppa and install from there.but i agree with o01eg, if you only want freeorion to work (and no other snap based games) you are probably better of trusting his ppa and install from there.
I did this and it works beautifully. My goal of using a 4.10 is achieved. Thank you!

Despite it now working for me ( v0.4.10.2 ppa-v0.4.10 [build 2020-09-25.60bcf55] ), I would be willing to assist in helping debug the snap issue. Let me know how I can be of assistance.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#7 Post by Ophiuchus »

lxl wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:41 pm
does another opengl game work on with snap on that machine?
I have tried some using non-snap (like the non-snap FreeOrion). Those work. I haven't tried a snap. Can you give me an example and I'll let you know whether it works or not?
cant remember which one did not work in the beginning. Anyway, how about marsshooter?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

lxl
Space Krill

#8 Post by lxl »

Apologies for the delayed reply.

I installed marsshooter and I also seem to have some gpu issues.

$ marsshooter 
Created /home/selim/snap/marsshooter/230/.marsshooter/mars.cfg, using default settings.
Shaders are not supported on your hardware! There will be no fancy graphics...
Happy Gaming...
On the one hand, this is unfortunate. On the other hand, this leads me to believe that there's an issue with snaps and my gpu and not with the FreeOrion snap.

Anything else you would like me to try out?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#9 Post by Ophiuchus »

lxl wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:38 am I installed marsshooter and I also seem to have some gpu issues.
On the one hand, this is unfortunate. On the other hand, this leads me to believe that there's an issue with snaps and my gpu and not with the FreeOrion snap.

Anything else you would like me to try out?
No, unfortunately I am not able to solve it then. The issue is probably somewhere on the combination of your operating system, snap and the gpu/drivers.
As said on one machine I had that problem, I wasnt able to fix it and... then suddenly when I checked back it worked.
Ah one thing, can be related to X11 vs wayland, too. So starting your session with the other one would be good.