Missing menu/turn processing background image

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

bhelyer
Space Floater

Missing menu/turn processing background image

#1 Post by bhelyer »

Hi there.
When I first ran FreeOrion from the statically linked Linux binaries, the image that is the background for the menu and the turn processing screen was present, but every time after that it was replaced by A large question mark and with "Missing File" underneath.

I have now compiled the latest SVN sources and the problem remains. The image is physically there in the default/art directory (splash.png, or was it .jpg?) but it isn't displaying.

Any ideas?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Missing menu/turn processing background image

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Try deleting config.xml

Also, what is your working directory when running freeorion? I believe it needs to be the directory with the binary in it, which needs to have the data directory in it as well...

There might also be something in the freeorion.log file. If not, try running with DEBUG log level:

freeorion --log-level DEBUG

and then check again.

bhelyer
Space Floater

#3 Post by bhelyer »

Deleting config.xml didn't work, and there is nothing in the freeorion.log file that is of any use:

Code: Select all

2007-09-01 10:14:52,773 DEBUG Client : OpenAL initialized. Version 1.1Renderer SoftwareVendor OpenAL Community
Extensions: ALC_EXT_capture AL_EXT_capture AL_EXT_vorbis AL_EXT_MP3 AL_LOKI_quadriphonic AL_LOKI_play_position AL_LOKI_WAVE_format AL_LOKI_IMA_ADPCM_format AL_LOKI_buffer_data_callback ALC_LOKI_audio_channel 

2007-09-01 10:14:53,556 DEBUG Client : SDLInit() complete.
2007-09-01 10:14:53,557 DEBUG Client : GLInit() complete.
2007-09-01 10:14:54,156 DEBUG Client : Limited FPS to 60
2007-09-01 10:14:58,797 DEBUG Client : SDLQuit() complete.
I am running from the directory the executable was built in (I didn't scons install) ~/Media/freeorion/FreeOrion/freeorion and the art is located in ~/Media/freeorion/FreeOrion/default/data/art(/splash.png). I haven't dug through the code enough yet, but are you using a relative path for loading the media? But it doesn't make sense for just one image to go AWOL and the rest to exist. I'm running revision 2242 (GG revision 621) on Debian Etch.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If it's just the splash image, and everything else is fine, then it might be because the splash is a very large image (1280x960). Try replacing it with another smaller one (512x512 or less) and see if that helps. If it does, then maybe you're using an out of date version of DevIL or libpng? (Note that I'm just guessing about stuff I don't know much about...)

bhelyer
Space Floater

#5 Post by bhelyer »

Okay, if I replace it with a starfield picture, that displays fine...I think you may be on the money.

Code: Select all

bernard@deskpro:~/Media/freeorion/FreeOrion/default/data/art$ dpkg -l | grep png
ii  libpng12-0                        1.2.15~beta5-1                      PNG library - runtime
ii  libpng12-dev                      1.2.15~beta5-1                      PNG library - development
bernard@deskpro:~/Media/freeorion/FreeOrion/default/data/art$ dpkg -l | grep devil
ii  libdevil-dev                      1.6.7-5                             Cross-platform image loading and manipulation
ii  libdevil1c2                       1.6.7-5                             DevIL image manipulation toolkit runtime support
I'll try upgrading them and see if that does anything. Thanks for your help.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by tzlaine »

If you can't handle GL textures larger than 512x512, it is probably due to an old GL driver/card, or you may be running GL in software (libmesa). If either of these is the case, you soon won't be able to run FO at all. We're about to go all shader-y on you.

bhelyer
Space Floater

#7 Post by bhelyer »

tzlaine wrote:If you can't handle GL textures larger than 512x512, it is probably due to an old GL driver/card
It worked once - but it is running in hardware...I get 2 FPS in software, and while 12 isn't great, I know my crappy integrated graphics card (which is close to nine years old) is firing on all cylinders.
tzlaine wrote: ...you soon won't be able to run FO at all. We're about to go all shader-y on you.
You big bullies. :cry:

The reasons for me to upgrade keep getting higher. Although, it worked the first time...maybe it was having a good day? Surely it should off load textures it can't handle to RAM...I'm going to try twiddling with my xorg.conf file.