Intel 965GM on Linux

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

ssalamass
Space Floater

Intel 965GM on Linux

#1 Post by ssalamass »

i got a question concerning the OpenGL 2.0 thing I got an Intel 965gm and it Free orion says I have Version 1.4 instead of the required 1.5.

But when i run "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" I get:

ssalamass@laptop:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL*
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM GEM 20090326 2009Q1 RC2
OpenGL version string: 2.0 Mesa 7.4
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.10
OpenGL extensions:

so to me it seems I have Version OpenGL Version 2.0. My graphicscard is pretty new anyway (its built in many of recent laptops, although its not THAT of an high end graphics card :).
I am running kubuntu 9.04 on a dell vostr 1310 but I can confirm that it didn't work on 8.10 and either. Any ideas on this? I mean freeorions graphics requirements are not really high. Since so many poeple have this graphics card is it possible to remove this bug somehow?

greetings

EDIT: Forget about what I earlier said... I just found out everything including gasclouds and hardware rendering works flawlessly on 8.04 despite still giving me an error about my OpenGL version not beeing 1.5 but 1.4.
In 8.10 as weel as 9.04 I get a segmentation fault as long as I have hardware rendering or gasclouds enabled.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Statically linked Linux-version

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

ssalamass wrote:Free orion says I have Version 1.4 instead of the required 1.5.
Where / how does it say that? There's some code I wrote that checks for OpenGL 2.0 and puts a line in the log file if the result is under 2.0, and there used to be some code that checked for version 1.5, although it's been removed in the latest versions.

What version of FreeOrion are you running? It must be older than Feb 15 because that's when the check for OpenGL versions less than 1.5 was removed. The latest Linux version was built with SVN revision 2918 which is after the revision that removes the 1.5 check, which was 2818.
My graphicscard [an Intel 965gm] is pretty new anyway (its built in many of recent laptops, although its not THAT of an high end graphics card :).
I run FreeOrion on a Windows Vista laptop with an Intel GMA X3100 which uses the 965GM chipset, with gas and optimized system rendering enabled...
I just found out everything including gasclouds and hardware rendering works flawlessly on 8.04 despite still giving me an error about my OpenGL version not beeing 1.5 but 1.4.
In 8.10 as weel as 9.04 I get a segmentation fault as long as I have hardware rendering or gasclouds enabled.
Perhaps updating messed up your driver versions? I know on windows, some of the older drivers for Intel graphics adapters didn't have support for OpenGL 2.0 features, but these were added in later versions.

kroddn
Static Linker

Re: Intel 965GM on Linux

#3 Post by kroddn »

First of all, as Geoff said, it would be usefull to know which version you installed.

The string "2.0 Mesa 7.4" sounds like you are not having an accelerated openGL 2.0, but a software renderer. But maybe I am wrong at this point.

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#4 Post by OndrejR »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
ssalamass wrote:Free orion says I have Version 1.4 instead of the required 1.5.There's some code I wrote that checks for OpenGL 2.0 and puts a line in the log file if the result is under 2.0, and there used to be some code that checked for version 1.5, although it's been removed in the latest versions.
Where / how does it say that?
http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Download

Also replace

Code: Select all

These binaries have been tested on Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy, Debian Etch and OpenSuSE 10.2, and may work on other distributions as well. Several people have reported issues with Ubuntu 8.04. Make sure you have OpenGL 1.5 or later, or you will likely get segmentation faults.
with

These binaries have been tested on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty, Debian Lenny, and may work on other distributions as well. Make sure you have OpenGL 2 or later, or you will likely get segmentation faults.
Sysops account is required to do this.

kroddn
Static Linker

#5 Post by kroddn »

OndrejR wrote:

These binaries have been tested on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty, Debian Lenny, and may work on other distributions as well. Make sure you have OpenGL 2 or later, or you will likely get segmentation faults.
Ubuntu 8.10, Debian 4.0 Etch and Debian Sid are Working as well. It could be mentioned that FreeOrion runs on x86_64 linux if ia32 libs are installed.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Intel 965GM on Linux

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I've updated the downloads page.