Good concept, bad start

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

damienhersch
Space Krill

Good concept, bad start

#1 Post by damienhersch »

Well, I really liked MOO3 (in some ways) so I was excited to hear about FreeOrion.

Unfortunately, the old saying "you get what you pay for" is certainly true of opensource software.

I've installed FreeOrion on 3 different computers.

On 1 XP computer it worked fine. On a Vista machine it produces a font error and won't load. On a second XP machine it comes up with a .dll error when loading the game engine. Unfortunately, the computer it does work on is not one that I use frequently.

Rule of thumb: if you spend more time troubleshooting a game than playing it, it's not worth it.

It's back to MOO3 for me.

Hey -- it was a good idea.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: Good concept, bad start

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I would recommend posting on the Support forum rather than the Suggestions forum. FreeOrion is in progress and not meant to be in a "fun" playable state. Posting about your errors with details and log files is useful to us because it means that we can fix the problem and possibly make it easier for others to use FreeOrion. Posting rather condescending comments about our efforts is not.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

I had already moved it to here, because I couldn't find a suggestion. However, I don't think he wants support either.

charlieg
Space Floater

#4 Post by charlieg »

He does illustrate a very good point though.

If people come across something new, especially without paying for it, their threshold for punishment is very low - they will give up incredibly easily if it doesn't work. They are not likely to try very hard before losing interest.

So the moral is to test/verify releases on as wide an array of operating systems as possible.
Free Gamer - open source games resource
FreeGameDev - Free Software game community

Emileneth
Space Krill

#5 Post by Emileneth »

charlieg wrote:He does illustrate a very good point though.

If people come across something new, especially without paying for it, their threshold for punishment is very low - they will give up incredibly easily if it doesn't work. They are not likely to try very hard before losing interest.

So the moral is to test/verify releases on as wide an array of operating systems as possible.
I agree, but it's a lot harder to make an open game.

I was very esceptic on open source games, until OpenTTD.

As there's not company to blame or ask for corrections, in this case the troubleshouting and debuging must be made entirely by the community, that's why I bothered into register on the forum.

0.3.xx is far from a release, this damienhersch is making a prejudice.

You cannot compare a free co-development with paid dev.

There's a good advice I got from my programming teachers: make it work solid, then make it pretty.

(currently im unable to start playing, the game crashes on building the galaxy)