Error loading hulls (r3239)

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

cazfi
Space Floater

Error loading hulls (r3239)

#1 Post by cazfi »

Running on 64bit Ubuntu Jaunty

After some time of universe creation (I suppose it's already created and game proceeds to next step) number of error messages is written to console where game was launched and nothing more happens. It seems to me that latter errors are just consequence of the first one which reads:
error at or after the indicated point on line 1:
Hull
^

OndrejR
Space Dragon

Re: Error loading hulls (r3239)

#2 Post by OndrejR »

I have no problem with r3239 on 64bit Debian testing.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Make sure your config.xml is pointing to the latest / SVN version of the resource directory, and not another older resource directory you might have elsewhere on the system. Deleting config.xml will ensure it's regenerated, if you prefer that.

cazfi
Space Floater

#4 Post by cazfi »

I did 'rm -Rf ~/.freeorion' before second test, but same errors happened.

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Try going into options from the main menu, and on the directories tab, make sure the resouce directories is pointing where it should for the version you're running.

Make sure you're actually running the latest version you thought you were, which might not be the case if you installed and built different versions.

Also, please attach .log files in ~./freeorion from after producing this crash / error.

cazfi
Space Floater

#6 Post by cazfi »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Try going into options from the main menu, and on the directories tab, make sure the resouce directories is pointing where it should for the version you're running.
Checked. Seems to be correct.
Geoff the Medio wrote:Make sure you're actually running the latest version you thought you were, which might not be the case if you installed and built different versions.
It displays correct revision number in the window title bar.
Geoff the Medio wrote:Also, please attach .log files in ~./freeorion from after producing this crash / error.
Attached. This is after I updated to latest svn, revision 3247.
Attachments
fo_r3247_logs.zip
(8.28 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

In your config.xml there is a line:

Code: Select all

<resource-dir>/home/cazfi/freeorion/install/share/freeorion/default</resource-dir>
The "install" part there suggests to me that it's looking at an installed older version, not the SVN version of the resource directory. Is that really where you checked it out from SVN...?

cazfi
Space Floater

#8 Post by cazfi »

Right. It works when run inside build directory, not as installed.

cazfi
Space Floater

#9 Post by cazfi »

Problem was caused by 'scons install' not overwriting existing files and not even warning about such files. Further confusion was caused by later tests (with install to completely empty directory tree) actually using this broken tree since it was saved to config.xml

I also noticed that when doing 'scons install' from svn checkout (and not export), also '.svn' directories under 'default' get installed.

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#10 Post by OndrejR »

tzlaine made cmake build for FreeOrion and it works. Scons is probably outdated.

Geoff the Medio

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

cazfi wrote:Further confusion was caused by later tests (with install to completely empty directory tree) actually using this broken tree since it was saved to config.xml
Hence my suggesting you delete config.xml... I thought you tried that, though?

cazfi
Space Floater

#12 Post by cazfi »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Hence my suggesting you delete config.xml... I thought you tried that, though?
I did at one point, but forgot to do it again before further tests...

cazfi
Space Floater

#13 Post by cazfi »

OndrejR wrote:tzlaine made cmake build for FreeOrion and it works. Scons is probably outdated.
http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Compile_In_Linux instructs to use scons. I thought it's the official build method.

Geoff the Medio

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

cazfi wrote:
OndrejR wrote:tzlaine made cmake build for FreeOrion and it works. Scons is probably outdated.
http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Compile_In_Linux instructs to use scons. I thought it's the official build method.
As far as I know, it scons still is the "official" build method. I think the CMake stuff is still experimental, even if successful for some.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by tzlaine »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
cazfi wrote:
As far as I know, it scons still is the "official" build method. I think the CMake stuff is still experimental, even if successful for some.
I consider CMake to be the new official build system for Linux. I've updated the Wiki page above to reflect this.