Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#1 Post by pd »

I've noticed something odd in the latest build.

When entering the enemy home system Aegir with my scout, the sitrep says "Battle occured". In the past, this was always accompanied by "You were defeated." This time, and also when entering the system Asimov a couple of turns ago, my scout survived and I could go on exploring. It did not happen in the first enemy system I encountered though.

My guess is, this is related to the recent changes(re-organization?) in combat code, but I'm unsure if this result is intended.
Attachments
battle.zip
(51.23 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: 3348

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Yes, I rewrote the combat resolution recently. One of the results of this is that a combat doesn't necessarily destroy a ship. Instead, ships can be damaged by the battle, and it might take a few turns of battling to fully destroy it. If you check the ship's health in the fleets window, it is probably reduced from what it started with.

Also, you may notice that if you park a combat fleet over an enemy planet, there will be a few turns of battle, and then the planet will be destroyed, rather than captured. I need to fix that...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

Yes, I rewrote the combat resolution recently. One of the results of this is that a combat doesn't necessarily destroy a ship. Instead, ships can be damaged by the battle, and it might take a few turns of battling to fully destroy it. If you check the ship's health in the fleets window, it is probably reduced from what it started with.
Ha, interesting, I like this.
Also, you may notice that if you park a combat fleet over an enemy planet, there will be a few turns of battle, and then the planet will be destroyed, rather than captured. I need to fix that...
Wow, I just tried this and actually wiped a planet out of existence:

The display of resource sharing doesn't get updated though.

edit: Odd, after rejoining the game(autosave) it was gone, but fluel supply dots remained.

edit2: And when leaving the system, the resource sharing indication comes back.

I've attached a savegame, right before battle.
Attachments
AS_Human_0039.zip
(53.83 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:The display of resource sharing doesn't get updated...
Should be fixed in SVN.

mZhura
Space Kraken

#5 Post by mZhura »

strange colonization...
Attachments
AS_Human_0003.zip
(73.3 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

mZhura
Space Kraken

#6 Post by mZhura »

strange battles...
Attachments
AS_Human_0006.zip
(88.78 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd »

Is your default directory up to date?

edit:You seem to be using BigJoe's content files. Could you perhaps not use those, when testing new builds?

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:edit:You seem to be using BigJoe's content files.
That's likely the cause of the combat sitrep error message, as his content files probably don't have that new string, which was recently added.