Win32: Crash after 5-20 turns of gameplay

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tenrei
Space Krill

Win32: Crash after 5-20 turns of gameplay

#1 Post by Tenrei »

Hi again, I dled the game and everything seems to install and play fine, I have the entire file and such but now it's crashing when I play, I start a game with 100 stars, 12 players and 4 arm spiral galaxy, after between 4-20 turns it crashes. I don't make custom designs, I usually have finished colonizing my second planet and am producing a colony ship.

I understand you guys look for logs to better understand how these bugs came to be and could be fixed but I don't know where to find them, is there already a fix? or should I pick up the log from somewhere and show you?

Tenrei
Space Krill

Re: WIN-32: 0.3.14 installer crash

#2 Post by Tenrei »

ok, heres the logs. It appears to be an issue that has its origins in calculating my resources, maybe if I don't actually use up all my minerals then the error can be bypassed and i can play some more : ]. Hope it goes well for the de-bugging.

-nope, it still kicked me, i had no ships in production either, whenever it loads a new turn seems to be the time.
Attachments
files.rar
(20.06 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Last edited by Tenrei on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: WIN-32: 0.3.14 installer crash

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I don't see anything in the log files that indicates the cause of your crash, other than that the human client (GUI) log file ends abrubptly, suggesting it crashed, and the server complains that the client disconnected unexpectedly.

Could you locate an autosave from immediately before such a crash? Ideally, you (and I) should be able to load the save file, press turn, and get a crash every time.

On Windows Vista, saves should be located in:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion\save

If you're not sure which file is the latest autosave, it should be the most recently modified .sav file after the crash.

Also, on the turn before these crashes, what are you doing with the UI? Is the sidepanel open and viewing a system? (What sort of system?) Is the fleets window open? Is some other sort of production finishing, or research perhaps?

Tenrei
Space Krill

Re: Win32: Crash after 5-20 turns of gameplay

#4 Post by Tenrei »

Ok, these crashes are usually the development of universes after a turn, however sometimes I will have the window open and will have moved a fleet or finished a production, the screen will freeze, and go black before closing itself to my desktop. Here's the auto save file.
Attachments
FreeOrion_Human_Player_Terran_0006.rar
(69.07 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Win32: Crash after 5-20 turns of gameplay

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I loaded that save in v0.3.14, hit turn a few times, and don't have any crashes.

Perhaps you could try updating your video drivers?