python problem

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

fenny
Space Krill

python problem

#1 Post by fenny »

I am very new to this game, tried version 3.14 a few days ago and today installed version 3.15. But i can't start it and get the error message libpython2.5.so.1.0 => not found python2.5 missing. Using shipped version. PYTHONHOME=python2.5 Segmentation fault
I'm using Linux Mint based on Ubuntu Jaunty with libpython2.6 (i need this for other programs). The previous version of freeorion worked fine. So, what can I do now?

Sorry for my english, but i'm not a nativ speaker.

I just checked version 3.14 (rev 3576), i'm getting the same error message, but it works, the new version crashes.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: python problem

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The fact that you're getting a segmentation fault after it complains about python doesn't necessarily mean the segmentation fault is due to a python problem, especially since the same python-related message appeared in v0.3.14 and it still ran.

It might help to delete config.xml in ~/.freeorion to make sure there's nothing getting mixed up between the previous and current version.

Also, does a freeorion.log or ogre.log get produced before the segmentation fault?

Make sure to delete these files and then run v0.3.15, to ensure you don't find older log files left over from v0.3.14 as well.

kroddn
Static Linker

#3 Post by kroddn »

The python message is no error message. FreeOrion is linked to python 2.5 and not compatible with other versions, so a part of python is shipped with it, which is used in your case.

What graphic card do you own? If I remember right, 0.3.14 included some non-committet codechanges to GiGi by me, that made FreeOrion run on some systems with ATI or Intel cards. But that code was not stable and indeed was not intended to be inside a release.

Could you please run the "freeorion" script with parameter --gdb (that means inside a debugger) in a terminal and then type "s" plus Enter (that starts the binary). If then FreeOrion crashes, type "bt" inside the terminal, which than prints a backtrace of the crash. Please post this backtrace. You may need to install "gdb" if you get a "command not found" error.

fenny
Space Krill

#4 Post by fenny »

I have an ancient ATI All in Wonder Card, maybe that's the problem. I can't say the number, because i haven't any description about it.
I tried to start freeorion with the debugger, but obviously i'm doing something wrong:
Bildschirmfoto-Terminal.png
Bildschirmfoto-Terminal.png (82.13 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
I typed "s" before and after (gdb), but the program didn't start at all.
Perhaps i should add, that i haven't any 3D acceleration, because there is no appropriate driver for my graphic card. If this is necessary for following versions of freeorion, i can't play it anymore.

Finally i found the reason:
log.png
log.png (92.4 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
I still don't know why i could play the version 3.14. I don't think i can get a newer open gl version, because my hardware is to old.

kroddn
Static Linker

#5 Post by kroddn »

The game could run on a open GL 1.3 system sometimes, but thats not guaranteed.

Did you download the debugging symbold before running the debugger?

It seems that the programm exited cleanly, so gdb has nothing to output. Did the main menu show?

fenny
Space Krill

#6 Post by fenny »

Yes, i downloaded the Debugsymbols_FreeOrion-0.3.15.tar.gz and unpacked them to /usr/local/games/freeorion/application. When i start freeorion in normal mode, i get the main window (black, without main menu), the music starts and then it crashes. But it's not the music, i tried it without music and it's the same.
When i start it with the debugger i can't see a window at all, and nothing indicates that something is runnig. But i haven't any experience with the debugger, so probably i'm doing something wrong.