Linux Startup Segfault

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

wilfre
Space Krill

Linux Startup Segfault

#1 Post by wilfre »

I have a segfault on start too.
Attachments
ogre.log
(12.85 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
freeorion.log
(749 Bytes) Downloaded 79 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Linux Startup Segfault

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There's nothing obviously relevant in your logs. The GL version should be sufficient, and it appears to get past the initial setup of the rendering system. Are there any other message output on the command line when the segfault happens?

Could you install gdb with your package manager, and the freeorion linux debug symbols from sourcrforge for v0.3.15, and run with the debugger attached and report back results? kroddn has numerous posts discussing this, including this one: viewtopic.php?p=43942#p43942

wilfre
Space Krill

#3 Post by wilfre »

I've deleted the package shipped by ubuntu repos and downloaded 0.3.15 with debugsymbols and run it in gdb
Attachments
orion.bt.log
(5.41 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
ogre.log
(13.94 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
freeorion.log
(984 Bytes) Downloaded 68 times

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#4 Post by OndrejR »

You have development version of Mesa 7.10 with 965 chipset. According this there are lot of changes and there could be incompatibilities between driver, mesa, xorg and maybe something else.

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Based on the stack trace, you appear to be getting crashes in GG::OgreGUI::Enter2DMode. There's a change that seems to fix a particular type of this crash for some people, but it would require rebuilding FreeOrion to implement for you. If you're willing and able to do that, then please indicate this, and I can explain more. There's no guarantee this would fix your problem, but it might.

wilfre
Space Krill

#6 Post by wilfre »

Well, building from source (getting them from RCS) is not a kind of rocket science for me. So, point me to that 'fixed' source tree, please.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

wilfre wrote:Well, building from source (getting them from RCS) is not a kind of rocket science for me. So, point me to that 'fixed' source tree, please.
Same as in this post: viewtopic.php?p=44237#p44237