Random famine, unavailable techs/buildings

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Random famine, unavailable techs/buildings

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

unjashfan wrote:Here are two save files with the random famine.
Can you attach the saves from the turn before the famine happens? By the time the sitrep message shows up, the calculations that made it happen are done, so I can't tell why it's happening...

Zireael
Space Dragon

#17 Post by Zireael »

I seemed to have a random famine nearly every turn, so that's a bit hard...

Geoff the Medio

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:I seemed to have a random famine nearly every turn, so that's a bit hard...
I can't reproduce that with your saves in the SVN version.

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by unjashfan »

Here are some save files regarding famines.

I managed to grind until I got another random famine again, but when I exited FreeOrion, reloaded the save file and tried to reproduce the results, the famine didn't happen, and autosave saved over the file. So now I lost the result and can't reproduce the famine again. The save file for the turn before is included in the zip (turn 32).

I discovered recently that after a planet gets gaia transformed, famine will strike it for a couple of turns. This tends to happen with terraformed planets as well. I think it might have something to do with the population growth. Could you also look at the self gravitating hull? In these save files (turn 288-291), ships using the self gravitating hull can't be produced (Mark IV and Mark V; both are custom designs).
Attachments
Save.7z
(369.16 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Geoff the Medio

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

unjashfan wrote:So now I lost the result and can't reproduce the famine again. The save file for the turn before is included in the zip (turn 32).
So the save doesn't produce famine for you? Is there any point in my downloading it?
I discovered recently that after a planet gets gaia transformed, famine will strike it for a couple of turns. This tends to happen with terraformed planets as well. I think it might have something to do with the population growth.
Could you try to set up a save a turn before such a terraforming event occurs then? Maybe it will lead to reproducible famine several turns after the terraforming happens?
Could you also look at the self gravitating hull? In these save files (turn 288-291), ships using the self gravitating hull can't be produced (Mark IV and Mark V; both are custom designs).
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=544942
http://freeorion.svn.sourceforge.net/vi ... ision=4548
(Update to the latest testing release)

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#21 Post by unjashfan »

Could you try to set up a save a turn before such a terraforming event occurs then? Maybe it will lead to reproducible famine several turns after the terraforming happens?
The save files turn 288-291 that I uploaded should be useful (under Save.7z). Turn 288 has the sitrep message "Gaia transformation has been produced on Sirius I"; the turns after that have the famine sitrep message for Sirius I (did absolutely nothing those turns). I checked twice - the famine sitrep messages appear after the gaia transformation takes effect (so from turn 290 onwards), so that's why I think it has to do with population growth.
So the save doesn't produce famine for you? Is there any point in my downloading it?
It did when I was playing, but when I reloaded it and tried to reproduce it, it didn't :? . So probably not, but it's in the same folder with the other saves I mentioned above. Just delete it or something I guess.
(Update to the latest testing release)
Downloaded it. I'll test using this build from now.

metallurge
Space Floater

#22 Post by metallurge »

unjashfan wrote:I discovered recently that after a planet gets gaia transformed, famine will strike it for a couple of turns. This tends to happen with terraformed planets as well. I think it might have something to do with the population growth
I can confirm this behavior under Linux SVNs up to & including 4593. Happens just after Gaia Transformation or Terraforming, regardless of the presence of excess food generation, supply lanes, current population, planetary focus, local-system excess food production, stockpiled food, or any other variable I can think of. Goes away after a turn or two.

Geoff the Medio

#23 Post by Geoff the Medio »

metallurge wrote:[Famine will strike] just after Gaia Transformation or Terraforming, regardless of the presence of excess food generation, supply lanes, current population, planetary focus, local-system excess food production, stockpiled food, or any other variable I can think of. Goes away after a turn or two.
I suspect this is an issue with ordering of updates of meter and effects that are changing planet types. Since it's a transient thing, and is going away after a turn or two, doesn't seem to drastically destroy playablility, and is happening only with a specific bit of avoidable content, I'm not going to worry about it in the short term.