Static multicellular hull fix

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

Static multicellular hull fix

#1 Post by unjashfan »

The description for the static multicellular says it needs an orbital incubator, but the tech only unlocks the hull but not the incubator. Here's a fix with the incubator unlock added in and also a minor stringtable edit for a more accurate description (since the incubator allows the construction of the static multicellular now).
techs_engstring.zip
(85.75 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Burkey
Space Squid

Re: Static multicellular hull fix

#2 Post by Burkey »

Wow, i'm on release 5553 (a few days old) and this bug is still in it!!!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

I think this was a design choice, not actually a bug. That said, some other recent changes have been made in the ships line, so that techs that unlocked a hull would also unlock the necessary orbital. I think those have been good changes, and so, whether this was originally a bug or not, I'll agree that it would be nice if the multi-cellular casting tech also unlocked the Organic Incubator necessary for its hull.

Is yandonman stewarding all the ship techs these days, or who should make the call on this?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:Is yandonman stewarding all the ship techs these days, or who should make the call on this?
Yandonman has contributed considerably, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that he is stewarding all ship techs already ;) I've been around for a bit more than a year now, and from what I've seen I'd say it's Geoff and eleazar who are (effectively) making the calls these days.

I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to kind of "nail down" these things officially, as I've caught myself on occasion wondering who makes the final and binding decisions on what and how things are done. There have been clearly designated "leads" for the various "departments" (programming, design, graphic, sound etc.) as well as a "project lead", but most of these guys have left the project (as far as I can tell). Of course the "vacancies" they left behind have been filled by others (at least those essential for the project to continue, otherwise it would have died long ago), but maybe it's a good idea to make that kind of "official"...?

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by yandonman »

E and Geoff get final call. I'm just contributing. :)
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by eleazar »

Vezzra wrote:I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to kind of "nail down" these things officially, as I've caught myself on occasion wondering who makes the final and binding decisions on what and how things are done. There have been clearly designated "leads" for the various "departments" (programming, design, graphic, sound etc.) as well as a "project lead", but most of these guys have left the project (as far as I can tell). Of course the "vacancies" they left behind have been filled by others (at least those essential for the project to continue, otherwise it would have died long ago), but maybe it's a good idea to make that kind of "official"...?
It's probably true that we're overdue for some new forum titles that more accurately reflect current reality, if for now other reason than to help the newcomers understand what's going on and which posters are more likely to know what they are talking about.

But a case like this probable doesn't need to raise the questions of ultimate authority.

Since Yandonman has been most recently been working on this part of the game, I consider "the ball to be in his court", to say weather this was something he intended or not, and if so to briefly explain why.

Also BTW, some forums are against "bumping", but that prohibition isn't useful here.
If a bug report or a patch hasn't got a response in a week to 10 days, it is helpful to bump it. There's also the source-forge bug-tracker: recommended for clear bugs, especially when they are unlikely to be dealt with soon.