FreeOrion.exe has stopped working

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: FreeOrion.exe has stopped working

#31 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'm very surprised that installing fonts in Windows made any difference... Or that installing WMP made any difference... Perhaps there's some sound engine stuff in Windows that only comes with WMP? But why was it failing to create any content in freeorion.log?

Nice that it started working, but very strange...

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#32 Post by Dilvish »

Burkey wrote:the only possible difference is the device has no direct access to the internet as it's on host only VM network adapter; would this matter? The only difference between the ones that didn't work is that they are Win 7 Pro and not Home.
Access to the internet was an issue that came up before and seems to be resolved.

You mentioned the permissions for the folder in general, but you could double check what the permissions are on the actual freeorion.log file that gets created but not written to?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dirk
Space Krill

#33 Post by Dirk »

Hi all,

I get the same problems as described here.

Faulting application name: FreeOrion.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x51f55e24
Faulting module name: log4cpp.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x51b85c50
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00004df8
Faulting process ID: 0xb0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf6919d5a349a9
Faulting application path: D:\ProgramFiles\FreeOrion\FreeOrion.exe
Faulting module path: D:\ProgramFiles\FreeOrion\log4cpp.dll
Report ID: 143f2070-d50d-11e3-8254-d43d7efb405e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Some more...

Fault bucket -546756083, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: freeorion.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 51f55e24
P4: log4cpp.dll
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 51b85c50
P7: c0000005
P8: 00004df8
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Dirk\AppData\Local\Temp\WER51C9.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_freeorion.exe_7fff40cca58d17d0c7c5214deec4222e9b78ff4_fd6dd8a1_0e2f58ed

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report ID: d248b2fd-d50e-11e3-8254-d43d7efb405e
Report Status: 1
Hashed bucket: 92fd0e17ad022be67e668a8732c51b72

Running windows 8.1. I took (at least most of) the steps described here:

Deleted appdata\freeorion, gave all rights to everyone here (and ran freeorion as administrator anyway)
Checked windows media player (installed) and opengl (version 4.4)
Updated driver for graphics , Geforce GTX650 with 335.23 newest driver installed.
Installed those deja vu fonts.
run with -g got that config.xml but that doesn't help much.
run with -h i get a console but it flicks away before i can read it.

Strange thing is...
I got this new computer 3 days ago, freeorion.exe didn't work properly then but i got a bit further, sometimes the game started, sometimes it didn't and in that case complained about a problem with a file nvog32.dll very similar to this problem:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8544

Operating system is windows 8.1 64 bits with 64 bit processor.

Geoff the Medio

#34 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dirk wrote:I get the same problems as described here.
I suppose I should ask you to be more specific, including what version of FreeOrion you installed, and whether any log files are generated (presumably in C:\Users\Dirk\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion\ ), and to try the latest test build if that's not what you used, but I doubt it will make any difference. Apparently log4cpp does something that causes crashes sometimes... No idea why.

I note that you've got FreeOrion installed on a different drive from your user directory... Maybe that somehow has something to do with it?

Might be time to replace log4cpp with log4cxx or log4cplus (based on a quick googling...). I don't know pros and cons of these or other options, though.

There's also a boost.log library, but it appears to require boost 1.54, which would be a bit of a pain to require for FO buidling...

Edit: The log4(whatever) libraries seem to have weird dependencies or other issues, so I'd like to switch to the boost logger, but the version bump to 1.54 remains problematic...

Dirk
Space Krill

#35 Post by Dirk »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Dirk wrote:I get the same problems as described here.
I suppose I should ask you to be more specific, including what version of FreeOrion you installed, and whether any log files are generated (presumably in C:\Users\Dirk\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion\ ), and to try the latest test build if that's not what you used, but I doubt it will make any difference. Apparently log4cpp does something that causes crashes sometimes... No idea why.

I note that you've got FreeOrion installed on a different drive from your user directory... Maybe that somehow has something to do with it?
v0.4.3 the build from 28-07-2013.
Ogre log file is generated, last line: 13:58:53: SceneManagerFactory for type 'OctreeSceneManager' registered.
Freeorion.log is generated and empty

I also wondered if my installation on D: had anything to do with all this so i uninstalled (using direct uninstall from the same directory freeorion was installed, maybe i should have unistalled from windows) and reinstalled on C: (choose default dir). No good but this time there was one line in Freeorion.log mentioning that it couldn't read something from D:\....So took out regedit.exe and deleted the keys that still pointed to D: Now i'm back to freeorion stopping and writing a 0 kb freeorion.log.

As for the latest build i have v0.43+ 7114 svn which builds fine in visual c++ 10 but has the same issue. I have tried to attach a debugger to the already crashed project but no new insights. I guess since i have the source code it should be possible to mark what is happening in log4cpp by adding lines that output to screen or disk, narrowing down what is happening to one line in this module. I noticed it's rather big though, consisting of 19 files.

Geoff the Medio

#36 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dirk wrote:So took out regedit.exe and deleted the keys that still pointed to D:
FreeOrion doesn't use the Windows registry for anything internally, and editing it should have no effect. What you probably wanted to do was delete config.xml in the FreeOrion directory in your user directory, where the logs are created.
As for the latest build i have v0.43+ 7114 svn which builds fine in visual c++ 10 but has the same issue. I have tried to attach a debugger to the already crashed project but no new insights. I guess since i have the source code it should be possible to mark what is happening in log4cpp by adding lines that output to screen or disk...
So you want to add logging to the logger code?
...narrowing down what is happening to one line in this module. I noticed it's rather big though, consisting of 19 files.
You might be able to place a breakpoint early in the logging call chain, and step into it to find the problematic spot. If you attach the debugger before it crashes, (either by starting attached, or putting a sleep command in to give you time to do so as it starts up), you can much more easily locate the crash. If you want to do the logging the logger approach, std::cout might be an option.

Dirk
Space Krill

#37 Post by Dirk »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Dirk wrote:So took out regedit.exe and deleted the keys that still pointed to D:
FreeOrion doesn't use the Windows registry for anything internally, and editing it should have no effect. What you probably wanted to do was delete config.xml in the FreeOrion directory in your user directory, where the logs are created.
As for the latest build i have v0.43+ 7114 svn which builds fine in visual c++ 10 but has the same issue. I have tried to attach a debugger to the already crashed project but no new insights. I guess since i have the source code it should be possible to mark what is happening in log4cpp by adding lines that output to screen or disk...
So you want to add logging to the logger code?
...narrowing down what is happening to one line in this module. I noticed it's rather big though, consisting of 19 files.
You might be able to place a breakpoint early in the logging call chain, and step into it to find the problematic spot. If you attach the debugger before it crashes, (either by starting attached, or putting a sleep command in to give you time to do so as it starts up), you can much more easily locate the crash. If you want to do the logging the logger approach, std::cout might be an option.
logging to the logging code :) I'll try debug approach first sometime.

zero
Space Krill

#38 Post by zero »

I have the same crash (c5 access violation) on an AMD A10 under Windows server 2008r2.
This thread provided some leads, but I have not been able to get the program running.
I started with the most recent stable build and updated to 0.4.3+ SVN 7136 after the first crash.
Next was to update to the latest stable video driver, install all windows updates, reboot.
Next I ran freeorion.exe from an elevated command prompt.
- The executable itself flashes a black screen, then pops up the windows crash dialog.
- The /h and /g options produce exactly the same results.
- The log files do have contents, and I can create and modify files in the appdata folder.
- deleting the FreeOrion folder in appdata had no effect.

I have another machine on the same OS where the program works fine, but it is an Intel/nVidia machine.

The log files and two dump files are available online.

I watched for debug messages with dbgview, but this was the only entry:

[996] FTH: (996): *** Fault tolerant heap shim applied to current process. This is usually due to previous crashes. ***

If there is any additional information I can provide, please advise. Thanks for your time.
in the meantime, I'll get my fix on the other machine :)