Situation Report [5755]

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Situation Report [5755]

#1 Post by AndrewW »

Had a ground battle that did not show up in the Situation Report.

Double checked filtering, everything is enabled.
Situation-Report.zip
(859.59 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Situation Report [5755]

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What do you mean by "Had a ground battle..." ?

Only way I can see a sitrep about a ground combat that happened involving one of your planets or some of your troops is if there was an error with the sitrep for some reason, so it was hidden by the UI. Try turning on show sitreps with errors in the options UI tab.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

Geoff the Medio wrote:What do you mean by "Had a ground battle..." ?
Did an Invade, captured the planet. Nothing in showing up as had a battle or captured the planet (did capture it though).
Geoff the Medio wrote:Only way I can see a sitrep about a ground combat that happened involving one of your planets or some of your troops is if there was an error with the sitrep for some reason, so it was hidden by the UI. Try turning on show sitreps with errors in the options UI tab.
Nothing showing up with errors enabled.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

AndrewW wrote:Nothing showing up with errors enabled.
How are you checking that?

How many ground troops does the planet you're invading have on the turn before? (0?)

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#5 Post by AndrewW »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Based on being under UI options, was just looking at the regular Situation Report. Does it only show up in the logs?
Geoff the Medio wrote:How many ground troops does the planet you're invading have on the turn before? (0?)
Zero

From the log:
2013-02-13 13:31:12,255 DEBUG Server : InvadeOrder::ExecuteImpl set for ship 6219 Adhafera to invade planet 143 Tanis I
2013-02-13 13:31:12,363 DEBUG Server : Ground combat on Tanis I was unopposed

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

AndrewW wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:
Based on being under UI options, was just looking at the regular Situation Report.
I mean what series of steps did you take, from launching freeorion, that lead to the situation that you expected to see a sitrep entry but didn't? Loading a save, clicking on certain things, ending turn, etc.
Does it only show up in the logs?
Probably. I'm surprised there's no message about capturing the planet (as opposed to the ground combat occurring, which isn't surprising), though.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#7 Post by AndrewW »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I mean what series of steps did you take, from launching freeorion, that lead to the situation that you expected to see a sitrep entry but didn't? Loading a save, clicking on certain things, ending turn, etc.
Start FreeOrion, loaded the save, went to that system clicked Invade then just go to the next turn, not doing anything else for the testing.
Geoff the Medio wrote:Probably. I'm surprised there's no message about capturing the planet (as opposed to the ground combat occurring, which isn't surprising), though.
You would think so.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#8 Post by Dilvish »

did you double check that you hadn't sometime accidentally clicked on the corresponding entry in the Sitrep filters, turning off display of this type of sitrep?

*edit* though I guess if you actually exited from freeorion before loading the game there's mot much chance of that happening
Last edited by Dilvish on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:did you double check that you hadn't sometime accidentally clicked on the corresponding entry in the Sitrep filters, turning off display of this type of sitrep?
See first post:
AndrewW wrote:Double checked filtering, everything is enabled.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

Crap, I encountered this too and forgot to report it. In one of my recent test games I invaded a planet with 0 ground troops. Captured it, but didn't get any sitrep messages, neither the "a ground battle occured" nor the "planet xyz was captured" message. Looks like when there are no ground troops, ownership of the planet changes with no actual ground battle occurring, resulting in no sitrep messages generated.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#11 Post by Zireael »

Now that I think of it, when invading something with 0 ground troops, I had no sitrep messages either in RC2.

Geoff the Medio

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The lack of a sitrep when there is an unopposed ground combat is expected, and will change soon after v0.4.2. I think the reason for this was to avoid persistent ground combat sitreps on planets with rebel troops being generated on them, which is a semi-implemented but presently unused feature.

Not sure why there's no sitrep about capturing a planet unopposed, but I haven't looked into it much.