Frame Rate Issues

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

j4l
Space Krill

Frame Rate Issues

#1 Post by j4l »

Hi, i started playing freeorion with the new 0.4.2 5771 and have similarly problems with the overall performance. I'm paying a small game with 61 stars and 3 AI on typical
My I5 Win 7 64 bit Notebook has a onboard/dedicated gpu switch. So i can play either with the intel hd 3000 or with an amd radeon 6630M.
So what i can say, is that the game is awfully slow with both cards. Frame range is betwean 2 and 25. Playing with the AMD card makes all fans rotating on max. So the system is very busy.
Btw. a nice sideeffect is, that i can't quit the game on fullscreen with the intel hd. it simply hangs.

PS: Don't get me wrong. Playing is quite fun

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Frame Rate Issues

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

j4l wrote:...similarly problems with the overall performance...
Turn off galaxy gas and starfields, and try optimized system rendering on and off. Graphics drivers updates might also help. The Radeon 6630M is new enough that it shouldn't be problematically slow for reasonable galaxy sizes, so I have to assume there are driver issues with fixed pipeline OpenGL causing your issues.

j4l
Space Krill

#3 Post by j4l »

thx for the quick answer. i did some investigations based on your answer.
i can only use sony hybrid driver to be able to switch bitween the gpus. My installed driverpackage is the latest based and on intel 8.15.10.2769 and amd AMD Catalyst 11.6 which isn't very uptodate. Deactiviting galaxy gas starfields and optimized system rendering helps a little bit. Anyway the frame rate stilll drops dramaticly when double clicking a system

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

j4l wrote:Anyway the frame rate stilll drops dramaticly when double clicking a system
Persistant low FPS, or just a short hang when opening the panel or changing the shown system? The latter is not unusual. Regardless, you can also try disabling showing sidepanel planets in the UI tab.

Grek336
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by Grek336 »

I play with 500 stars. Windows Version on ubuntu with wine. AMD APU E-300 (with integrated GPU)

I found that I have 11 FPS when I zoomed out, 9 FPS when I see only the fleet movments and 2 FPS when the name of the stars displayed too.

Galaxy field gas rendering is off
Galaxy map star field rendering is on

Galaxy field gas rendering is off has a great effect
Galaxy map star field rendering is on has no effect

for me.

Unfortunately I have no Option found to turn of the rendering of system names. The best way was a short-cut like in widelands.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If rendering system name text is killing your frame rate, then you need better video drivers. I'd guess that it's not even using the hardware, and is just using a very poor performance software driver.

Alternatively, accept that you can't run with 500 stars with playable frame rate.

Grek336
Krill Swarm

#7 Post by Grek336 »

I can play wideland and warzone2100 (linux versions). The Framrate is not very good but 10 to 20 fps.

But the use not so many text redering in the game.

I hope the performance grow up in later versions.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#8 Post by Zireael »

The problems are probably due to the number of stars and the number of data the program has to process.

Play with less stars, is an obvious solution.

j4l
Space Krill

#9 Post by j4l »

i finally got a modded driver package for my hybrid notebook working.

http://leshcatlabs.net/index.php/2013/0 ... l-laptops/

performance is much better now and game doesn't crash with igp