Error Loading the C Runtime Library - Windows 7

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

bjorn2in
Space Krill

Error Loading the C Runtime Library - Windows 7

#1 Post by bjorn2in »

On selection of either Quick Start or Single Player from the main menu, I am receiving 3 copies of the following error window.
My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1. 12 GB RAM, Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz.

When I close each of the 3 windows in turn, the game finally comes up. I am started as a Human on Homam. The start is the same for both Single Player and Quick Start. I have never seen the Galaxy Setup dialogue. Can anyone shed some light on these errors? Thanks in advance for the help.

ogre
Space Squid

Re: Error Loading the C Runtime Library - Windows 7

#2 Post by ogre »

On selection of either Quick Start or Single Player from the main menu, I am receiving 3 copies of the following error window.
My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1. 12 GB RAM, Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz.
32bit or 64bit windows 7?, i'd hate to make assumptions here but seeing as you could be a 32bit or 64bit processor on a 32bit or 64bit system with 32bit or 64bit runtimes being loaded by a 32bit or 64bit program... it could be useful :)

yesterday I did a factory reset of dell w7 32bit starter on my 64bit sony and am fully updated minus one [annoying] 3/12/13 Microsoft update and i'm not receiving errors.
thanks for a great game. :)

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Being able to start a game, but getting three freeorionca.exe errors suggests something weird is happening with Python on your system. Installing a fresh copy of Python 2.7, or removing an existing Python install, or removing environment variables related to Python might help.

bjorn2in
Space Krill

#4 Post by bjorn2in »

Thanks for the direction guys. It seems that for some reason msvcr90.dll was in my python path. I simply renamed it and the problem went away. Thanks to both responders, though Geoff the Medio was closest to the solution.