Crash at attempt to load a game

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

linwe
Space Krill

Crash at attempt to load a game

#1 Post by linwe »

v 0.44
2014-12-24 12:44:39,849 DEBUG Client : Logger initialized
2014-12-24 12:44:39,849 DEBUG Client : v0.4.4 [SVN 7641] MSVC 2010
2014-12-24 12:44:40,318 DEBUG Client : OpenAL initialized. Version 1.1Renderer SoftwareVendor Creative Labs Inc.
Extensions: EAX EAX2.0 EAX3.0 EAX4.0 EAX5.0 EAX3.0EMULATED EAX4.0EMULATED AL_EXT_OFFSET AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE AL_EXT_EXPONENT_DISTANCE

2014-12-24 12:44:40,835 DEBUG Client : ProductionWindow: app-width: 1024 ; windowed width: 1024
2014-12-24 12:44:40,847 DEBUG Client : DesignWnd::MainPanel::ReregisterDesigns
2014-12-24 12:44:41,213 DEBUG Client : Limited FPS to 60
2014-12-24 12:44:41,214 DEBUG Client : HumanClientApp::HumanClientApp window size: 1024x768 at 0x0
2014-12-24 12:44:41,219 DEBUG Client : OpenGL Version Number: 4.4
2014-12-24 12:44:41,220 DEBUG Client : (HumanClientFSM) IntroMenu
2014-12-24 12:44:41,220 DEBUG Client : HumanClientApp::KillServer()
2014-12-24 12:44:41,220 DEBUG Client : ClientNetworking::SetPlayerID: player id set to: -1
2014-12-24 12:44:41,262 DEBUG Client : HumanClientApp::Enter2DMode()
2014-12-24 12:44:43,719 DEBUG Client : HumanClientApp::LoadSinglePlayerGame
2014-12-24 12:44:43,719 ERROR Client : SaveFileListBox::FilterColumns: Column not found: time
2014-12-24 12:44:43,719 ERROR Client : SaveFileListBox::FilterColumns: Column not found: turn
2014-12-24 12:44:43,719 ERROR Client : SaveFileListBox::FilterColumns: Column not found: player
2014-12-24 12:44:43,720 ERROR Client : SaveFileListBox::FilterColumns: Column not found: empire
2014-12-24 12:44:43,720 ERROR Client : SaveFileListBox::FilterColumns: Column not found: file
2014-12-24 12:44:43,720 DEBUG Client : SaveFileDialog::FilterColumns: Visible columns: 5
2014-12-24 12:44:43,736 DEBUG Client : SaveFileDialog::UpdatePreviewList

Crashes with no error messages or anything.
Win 7 64 bit.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Crash at attempt to load a game

#2 Post by Dilvish »

linwe wrote:Crashes with no error messages or anything.
Well, the log is at least suggestive about what to check--
2014-12-24 12:44:43,720 DEBUG Client : SaveFileDialog::FilterColumns: Visible columns: 5
2014-12-24 12:44:43,736 DEBUG Client : SaveFileDialog::UpdatePreviewList
Having the LoadFile dialog present info like turn, player, etc., is something that was just added sometime in the past year. The next step after that in the log would normally be to load Preview information from the save files that are present, and that seems to be where it crashed. Do you have many save files? Are some of them perhaps pretty old? I'd try moving all but the one you currently want into a subfolder and then see what happens. It obviously shouldn't be crashing just from finding old files, and my recollection was that there was no such problem on Linux, but I don't know about it on Windows. Could you also describe a bit more just what it did upon crash-- did the window die, or hang, or what?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Mitten.O
Programmer

#3 Post by Mitten.O »

I have a vague recollection of something throwing an error (which is caught) on linux, but crashing on windows back when I made the preview. Don't remember how it got resolved. Might need to dig the fora. That appeared precisely when there were incompatible saves present, so Dilvish's suggestion is good.
Any code by me in this post is released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Själe
Space Floater

#4 Post by Själe »

I use a knoppix-linux. It is a debian clone.

I downloaded the "FreeOrion-7874-Test-RevisedColonization-Win32-Setup.exe".
Run the setup with "wine".

The game runs secure und easy. But if I want to load a saved game, the game stops.

The konsole writes only:

"FreeOrion server waiting for network events"

I tryed it also with a single saved game in a folder and also with autosaves.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Do you have the same problem using the v0.4.4 release version? Or with the non-revised-colonization recent test releases?

Dilvish

#6 Post by Dilvish »

a old/stale server process can cause that problem with hang at ""FreeOrion server waiting for network events"; once in a while it doesn't terminate properly when ending a game. In a regular Linux environment I'd suggest at the command line run

Code: Select all

pkill freeoriond
while FO is not running at all (or use a gui to check processes and kill any for freeoriond), and then restart and see if that has fixed it. I suppose that's not so likely to work with Wine and a windows executable though, but is probably worth checking anyway.

If you're on a debian clone I'd strongly recommend you look at building FO yourself, either following the debian instructions here or else with the generic Compile Instructions with reference to Linux details here. You could also think of using the debian instructions to make getting the dependencies easier, but then using svn and the compile instructions to build the most recent test version.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Själe
Space Floater

#7 Post by Själe »

Excuse, that I'm so late, my post was at first blocked so I'm thougt, that's impossible for me to write here. Sorry :?
Also I hope that I understand and write all clearly, because my English isn't so good.

Geoff the Medio wrote:Do you have the same problem using the v0.4.4 release version?

Yes have with 0.4.4 the same problem.

In former times I played the 0.4.3 with 1000 systems and mostly high planets, star streets and so, it was no problem to load till to the nearly 70. round. Then sometimes not load, with every round one point more for no-load. In this time I also played over a windows XP. There was the same problem.

@non-revised-colonization recent test releases

Ähm. What's this?

@Debian clone

Hm. I'm not the fittest on linux coding. (don't know the right word)
It is theoretical possible to install the game abaout a manager automatically. But it comes to a conflict and I don't want to uninstall other ressources. Thats why I play over wine.

I saw an option in an other thread: I need openGL 2.1. It's possible, that's the reason why?

I never compiled a game for Linux. But I try it.
Is this compiling also possible for the test version?
I have a little bit experience with githup and a saw, there is an user repository. Shell I try to take this?

I'm a hard gamer. :) And want to test this game, cause I like it. But I'm often slowly. ;)
I try to go the way about the links. Maybe I ask stupid questions. It's hard to understand English, but harder the Coder slang. :)

solong and thanks

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Själe wrote:In former times I played the 0.4.3 with 1000 systems and mostly high planets, star streets and so, it was no problem to load till to the nearly 70. round. Then sometimes not load, with every round one point more for no-load.
Uh, that's a bit much. While you can play with up to 5000 systems (that's the hardcoded max), the recommended max is 500 systems. Game setups like yours are likely going to cause trouble on lower spec machines. Playing that within wine will make things even worse.

Can you try to play a game with 500 systems max and see how that works?
In this time I also played over a windows XP. There was the same problem.
So, just to be sure: You ran into the issues you described both with wine and on a normal PC with WinXP? Did you play with those high settings then too, or did you also try games with <500 systems?
@non-revised-colonization recent test releases

Ähm. What's this?
The installer you downloaded is actually a special test build for a version of FO implementing an experimental change to the colonization mechanics. The installers for the "normal" weekly test builds are those without the "RevisedColonization" string in the filename.

Btw: "Ähm"? Does that indicate that you're speaking German? Just curious ;)

Själe
Space Floater

#9 Post by Själe »

At first: My Knoppix has an english dictonary onboard. I discovered it while reading your post today.
Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to refer it:
Of course I tried to load the game with lowely start options. < 100 systems.
For now it's also impossible to load.

I checked also my openGL version.

Code: Select all

>> glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.2
I also tried to change/unchange the save folder.
Tried to load from an empty folder (within only the last save;)

Vezzra wrote:Playing that within wine will make things even worse.

Yeah. I know it. :)
But some games run better in this kind or without bugs then under windows.

Actually I play the game without loading.

Vezzra wrote:The installer you downloaded is actually a special test build

Next I would try to take the repository version and try to compile it. If it's possible for the actually test versions.
But it's a hard mentally hurdle for me.

Vezzra wrote:
Btw: "Ähm"? Does that indicate that you're speaking German? Just curious ;)

Curious? I'm a very serious Kraut! ;)
Why you ask?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

Vezzra asks if you're German because he (and several other of the devs) are also German, the number of times threads on here switch to German to solve problems is remarkably low given the number of regular posters that have it as their native tongue, but it does happen (in other words, if you have problems explaining an issue in English, you'll almost certainly get answers in German, but they won't come from me, I can just about read a food menu and order a meal, but that's about it).

For what it's worth, I use a lowspec 4 year old laptop to play, my system can manage up to 350 systems if I set it on "low planets" with up to 10 AIs, but high planets means I need no more than 200 systems, from many many observations lag kicks in quite badly once I've got over ~150 colonised worlds or over 200 ships, so low planets means I can have a nice big map to explore without having an unplayable game.

I've never had a won't load problem myself though, so can't really help with that.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#11 Post by AndrewW »

Själe wrote:@Debian clone
I never compiled a game for Linux. But I try it.
Is this compiling also possible for the test version?
I have a little bit experience with githup and a saw, there is an user repository. Shell I try to take this?
For compiling in Linux see:

http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Compile_In_Linux

Also see the Compile section here on this forum.

Dilvish

#12 Post by Dilvish »

getting everything to compile for Linux will be a bit of work & a bit tricky, but we'll be glad to help step you through the process and it is sounding to me like that will be the best way to get past your mysterious problem loading games. FreeOrion runs very well on Linux, there is no reason to prefer a Windows environment for it, particularly not via Wine.

The compiling route is available for the test versions, if you use svn per the compile instructions then you can always update to the most recent revision, which might even be newer than the most recent pre-compiled test version. Every once in a while a glitch sneaks in that might take a short period of time to get resolved, but that's pretty rare and you can always just backtrack to a version prior to the trouble. Using git to get the source is also fine, though you won't have the option to try out experimental branches like the current revised-colonization branch.

Själe
Space Floater

#13 Post by Själe »

So, my SmartGit is refreshed and ready. :)

I will open a new thread to create a new local repository and compile it for my Linux.

I hope you are patient enough. ;)
And I'm also.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#14 Post by Vezzra »

Själe wrote:Of course I tried to load the game with lowely start options. < 100 systems.
For now it's also impossible to load.
Hm, strange. I can't recall anyone reporting this problem so far. Well, the game isn't tested on wine at all, and with the resources at our disposal there's simply no way we can support that. It's possible that there is something within FO that just doesn't work well on wine.

But you also reported problems with loading save games on XP...?
I checked also my openGL version.
That's most likely not the problem in your case. If the OpenGL version was insufficient, you wouldn't be able to play at all, or have graphic display issues.
Curious? I'm a very serious Kraut! ;)
Why you ask?
Weil, wie Mat schon erwähnt hat, Deutsch auch meine Muttersprache ist. Daher, wenn ich einen sehe, der sich mit Englisch schwer tut, und ich den Eindruck habe, der könnte ein Deutschsprachiger sein, dann frage ich nach. Es hilft schon, wenn man zur Not auf die Muttersprache zurückgreifen kann. Ist sowieso immer ein bissi seltsam, mit einen anderen Deutschsprechenden auf Englisch zu palavern ;)

mart3300
Space Krill

#15 Post by mart3300 »

You are not alone, I have the same problem on 0.44 with wine (playonlinux). I will also try to compile. :wink: