Multiplayer timeout

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Magnate
Space Dragon

Multiplayer timeout

#1 Post by Magnate »

Hi all,

I'm trying to run a very long mp game, where we turn when we can. The game crashes if we leave it longer than a couple of hours between turns (e.g. overnight) - is there any way to stop this?

(By crashes I mean that the server disconnects, but freeorion is still running ok and we can reload and restart.)

TIA,

CC

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Multiplayer timeout

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Please save and attach to a post a server log file (freeoriond.log) from immediately after such a disconnection. Several such files might be more helpful.

Are the crashes at a consistent time or after a consistent action by one of the players, or when a particular type of event occurs in game (eg. combat, colonization, something finishes production / research)? Does it crash randomly with no warning, or just during turn processing after all players have clicked end turn?

Just "it crashes" doesn't help much, unfortunately...

Magnate
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Magnate »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Please save and attach to a post a server log file (freeoriond.log) from immediately after such a disconnection. Several such files might be more helpful.

Are the crashes at a consistent time or after a consistent action by one of the players, or when a particular type of event occurs in game (eg. combat, colonization, something finishes production / research)? Does it crash randomly with no warning, or just during turn processing after all players have clicked end turn?

Just "it crashes" doesn't help much, unfortunately...
Sorry, I realise that wasn't specific enough. So far I have observed two separate crash triggers:

1. The instant the last human player clicks End Turn, if there has been a long delay since the start of that turn

2. After turn processing, during (or at the very end of?) "Downloading and unpacking" the new turn - again, if there was a long delay on the previous turn

The longer the delay, the more likely to be 1 rather than 2.

The good news is that it almost never crashes *during* a turn, only between turns in those two ways.

I'm afraid I can't find any freeoriond.log in the Program Files (x86)\Freeorion directory. Where else should I look?

Many thanks,

Chris

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Magnate wrote:I'm afraid I can't find any freeoriond.log in the Program Files (x86)\Freeorion directory. Where else should I look?
the location is explained here: http://freeorion.org/index.php/Config.xml
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0