Problems with loading save files

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Scorch
Space Krill

Problems with loading save files

#1 Post by Scorch »

So whenever, and when I say whenever I mean whenever, I have tried different saving points. (Early game and late game saves) But every time I try to load a save file I get a black screen.

Processor:Intel® Celeron(R) CPU 1007U @ 1.50GHz × 2
Graphics:Intel® Ivybridge Mobile
System:Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-Bit

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Problems with loading save files

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Are you running from the command line? And if so, is there some output to console about the Server address already being in use? Sometimes FO doesn't get shut down cleanly and the previous server process can linger, causing problems when you try to start a new game. You can open up the System Activity monitor and look for the program "freeoriond" (note the "d" at the end, that indicates the server (for whatever reason)). You can kill that from the system monitor, or from the command line via

Code: Select all

$ pkill freeoriond
I expect that should clear it up for you. If it doesn't, then please post your "freeorion.log" and "freeoriond.log" files from the config directory (~/.freeorion on Linux).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Scorch
Space Krill

#3 Post by Scorch »

I downloaded it via wine since downloading via command line wasn't working for me. EDIT: I opened system monitor and didn't find any freeorion applications on. Nor could I find a Freeorion file in the config file. Should I try deleting it and download it from command line?

Scorch
Space Krill

#4 Post by Scorch »

Okay what I did was I deleted the version downloaded by wine and downloaded it via command line. The load function is working now. Sorry for taking up your time.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Scorch wrote:Okay what I did was I deleted the version downloaded by wine and downloaded it via command line. The load function is working now. Sorry for taking up your time.
No worries. Sounds like you are running a windows version on Linux via Wine, then? If you have more trouble in the future please be sure to mention that if you are still doing that. You might also try just compiling FO yourself; it is pretty straightforward on Linux, even for a non-dev, and I expect it would be more reliable and probably perform better as well. See here for more info on that.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0