No game mouse and massive screenflicker on Win10

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

No game mouse and massive screenflicker on Win10

#1 Post by MatGB »

Have had to switch to the laptop for a bit and installed this week's test, first problem was the game mouse wasn't displaying even on the home screen, the game knew where the pointer *was*, because if I moved it over the menu things would highlight and the sounds would happen, but I can't see where it is.

Getting into the game proper and the entire display is flickering, especially the menu at the top, and the mouse isn't visible making UI elements rather problematic...

Within the options screen, for inexplicable reasons, the mouse reappears if I go into Audio, UI, Galaxy Map and colors. It disappears for Autosave but reappears for Keyboard shortcuts.

When running quickstart, the mouse is visible while the screen is black and it's running the "generating" effects in messages, but when the map actually appears the mouse disappears.

This is new, it wasn't in last weeks Test.

(also, didn't there used to be an option to disable the system mouse in Windows? I can't find it)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: No game mouse and massive screenflicker on Win10

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Can you identify a particular commit where the rendering issue start?
MatGB wrote:(also, didn't there used to be an option to disable the system mouse in Windows? I can't find it)
Back when using Ogre, which by default would render an in-game and the system mouse, but not always, yes.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

No, it's not happening on Linux and I was only using Win10 overnight, it's the kid's laptop and I only have basic git setup there, no ability to compile at all. Plus, I have now cracked the screen of the laptop so while it's technically usable it's not really usable. Which, y'know, really bad timing but that's life.

I have zero clue if it's a that laptop problem or a Win10 problem and have no way of testing.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I've noticed some flickering of the star icons when zoomed out in recent builds, which I suspect is related. Only happens when a system is selected, though... perhaps related to the new animation method for the system selection indicator. Never saw major issues on any other screen / situation, though.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#5 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:I have zero clue if it's a that laptop problem or a Win10 problem and have no way of testing.
I have a laptop with Win10 (upgraded my Win8 one). I will compile today and test whether it's a general problem.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It is almost certainly a video driver or video hardware dependent issue. Likely I forgot to reset the rendering state somewhere in recent rendering code updates, and different drivers or video cards end up responding to that in different ways.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#7 Post by Sloth »

Geoff the Medio wrote:It is almost certainly a video driver or video hardware dependent issue. Likely I forgot to reset the rendering state somewhere in recent rendering code updates, and different drivers or video cards end up responding to that in different ways.
Yup, no problems on my machine.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I fixed a few places where some rendering settings were being set / not unset incorrectly. Would be useful to know if that reduced / affected the flicker at all?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I fixed a few places where some rendering settings were being set / not unset incorrectly. Would be useful to know if that reduced / affected the flicker at all?
They came to late for this weeks test version, so I'll give it a go next week, can't really compile on this machine myself.
Mat Bowles

Damiac
Space Floater

#10 Post by Damiac »

I'm having this exact same problem on version 2015-10-12.f596343, in windows 7, 64 bit

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by MatGB »

*bump*
Haven't used the windows laptop for months but this issue is still there with the most recent test build. Any ideas?
Mat Bowles

Geoff the Medio

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

As noted before, probably somewhere deep in the OpenGL rendering code, there's some state not being set/reset properly, which interacts badly with your particular drivers but not most others. The differing results for different options tabs suggests that the last thing being rendered before the mouse cursor on those tabs does reset the state properly, but that that isn't happening on the (rather sparse) autosave tab.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by MatGB »

Still happening with this weeks test (I rarely use the laptop), transferred as a Github issue.
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/676
Mat Bowles

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#14 Post by dbenage-cx »

MatGB wrote:Within the options screen, for inexplicable reasons, the mouse reappears if I go into Audio, UI, Galaxy Map and colors. It disappears for Autosave but reappears for Keyboard shortcuts.
For those that have this issue, curious if the order of tab traversal matters.
e.g. If switching tab selection order from Video->UI->Galaxy Map->Autosave to Video->Galaxy Map->Autosave->UI (or some other combination) has the same effect on display of cursor.

As adrianbroher noted in the issue, a short video of the flickering (original issue) may prove helpful, especially to determine if two users experience the same issue.
Geoff the Medio wrote:probably somewhere deep in the OpenGL rendering code, there's some state not being set/reset properly
I threw together a hotkey addition for testing the current state.
Are there other checks that could be performed or are these not the area of concern?
Last edited by dbenage-cx on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#15 Post by MatGB »

As it's not in this thread, but is said elsewhere, this appears to be a hardware specific issue with integrated graphics on some Windows laptops, both the laptops this happened to me on are now dead so I can't update or help further (my current Win laptop has a separate graphics card that works fine), but it's still affecting others, especially 'defaultuser' and if those affected can provide extra info that would be great, this has been a very annoying bug for far too long.
Mat Bowles